error on startup driving me crazy!! UT won't run!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bhosk

Oct 28, 2000
Visit site
can't start up UT, it gives me a critical error when attempting to start up
"can't find'ini:Engine.Engine.GameEngine' in config file
History:UObject::SafeLoadError <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- InitEngine"

any idea what this means and if it's possible to fix this w/o reinstalling the entire game????!!! any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!!

{AoD}SNiPER

Sep 17, 2000
Visit site
Sounds like you maybe had a bad install probably to bad memory location problem during install or maybe a CD error during install and one or more files were not copied correctly. If it says a file is missing or cant find it try copying it from the UT CD to your UnrealTorurnament/Systems folder, that might work.

Bhosk

Oct 28, 2000
Visit site
yeah it's strnge b/c I've been playing it fine for a month or so and it just suddenly started doing this the other day, the mods such as strike force and infiltration 2.8 still work fine, etc. so I have no clue, thanks though, I'll give it a try if I can figure it oot, thanks!

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
more *.ini damage here

I've never trusted the big mods of SF and Infiltration after they trashed out my UT when they get confused as to which ini is active at any given time. Infiltration had the habit of playing a switching game that is destruction city if you have a mid-game crash. SF isn't as dangerous, but has misedited the ini before.

My advice is to always keep a known good user.ini and unrealtournament.ini file backup handy.

Position you're in right now would be solved by a simple filecopy.