PDA

View Full Version : Constantly reading from hard-drive=unplayable

Little Recon
3rd Nov 2000, 02:34 PM
Whenever I try to play a game, my computer is CONSTANTLY reading from the hard drive. I assume it is loading the level or graphics or something, because if I just sit there for like 20 seconds, it stops. I can then move forward a little or turn side to side a very little bit until it starts reading again. Once it starts reading, the game gets unplayably jumpy. If I try to run around and shoot anyone, its like watching a slide show. After being in the same area for a while though, it gets less jumpy. This totally sounds like a graphics loading problem to me, but I have no idea how to fix it.

Is this just how UT is or is there some way to fix it?

Thx

L.R.

Crager
3rd Nov 2000, 10:56 PM
People here may be able to help you out if you include your system specs.

Little Recon
3rd Nov 2000, 11:51 PM
Thanks, but I think I figured it out. I set the engine cache size to like 40 megs and turned off the precaching (what the hell good is that precache anyway, all it does is make loading a level twice as long).

On a different note, does anyone know how to turn off precaching for OpenGl?

L.R.

Imaginos
4th Nov 2000, 01:01 PM
In unrealtournament.ini, opengl renderer section set the DoPrecache=0 should do it.

Little Recon
5th Nov 2000, 01:29 PM
Thx, but I looked in the unrealtournament.ini and found the opengl renderer section and there is no mention of precache there. Any ideas?

L.R.

Imaginos
8th Nov 2000, 06:46 PM
badda bing