PDA

View Full Version : Decorative sheets

Bogdon
2nd Nov 2000, 09:53 AM
Trying to put some decorative textures on some walls.(I tried looking for some tutorials on this but can't locate any).
My architecture is nicely established but i can't seem to get decorative sheets to work. I build a sheet position it and try to add it as a special brush as a masked decorative but the textures won't work no matter what combination I use.What am I doing wrong?
Does a decorative sheet or masked wall have to be slightly away from the wall it is decorating. When I line up the sheet brush touching the wall it is being applied to it assumes the new texture on the whole wall instead of just the part I want.Hope I've explained this right
All responses much appreciated :)

Zaphrod
2nd Nov 2000, 01:42 PM
Set your grid to 1 unit and move the sheet one unit from the wall you want it to decorate. You wont notice that its not touching the wall in the game.

Fuzzpilz
2nd Nov 2000, 02:14 PM
I regret having to say this, but you will notice it. I do, at least. Unless you want your decorations to be masked, I advise you to rather add a brush with the same shape as the decoration directly "into" the wall in such a way that the face that will hold the decoration is coplanar with the wall that is to be decorated.

Zaphrod
2nd Nov 2000, 02:30 PM
If you notice it then you must hate most maps because they do it all the time that way. If you actually add a cube brush with even 1 unit thickness you are adding unnecessay polys and nodes which is going to slow down your map. You might notice it if you just stand there and look for it but nobody else will in the game, too many things going on.

Bogdon
2nd Nov 2000, 04:04 PM
Thanx to you both I kinda thought moving the sheet 1 unit away was the thing to do in fact I had done it and deleted it cause I thought that was wrong (overlapping corners that way didn't feel right even though it looked ok). You both have valid points I lean to lesser poly counts lord knows I've probably got enough already ;)

Fuzzpilz
4th Nov 2000, 09:48 AM
I don't really notice it on walls unless I look for it, but if it's done on floors it's ugly. I didn't mean adding the cube so it sticks out of the wall, but in such a way that it sort of sticks into the wall, if you know what I mean. The carpets in DM-Gothic have been done that way. It doesn't increase the polycount any more than the sheets method because only one face of the brush will ever be visible, i.e. the one that holds the decoration. The only difference is that it looks better and can't be used for masked decorations unless you use the 2D Editor.

smally
5th Nov 2000, 10:27 PM
Yes, I understand what you are saying Fuzz. On gothic with the carpets your method would be the best. But i believe what the person wanted to do was add a masked decoration. And for masked decos the sheet 1 unit away is the only way to go. But you are right about adding detail that isn't masked to surfaces.

Krypton|BuF
6th Nov 2000, 05:08 AM
I hate the "1 unit away" method, it looks ugly and behaves strange (no decal-stay, on it, shoot a deemer and it won't even get black/dirty a little)...

And, the "complanar, into it" way of placing a whole new cube brush works good, looks better and is the method to use... for most the mappers. check out all the details like different textures on all the crates, they're all made like that...

(check out DM-Nitro...)