Modeling and translucent textures... ??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Super-K

Apr 18, 2000
www.planetquake.com
Does anyone know if it's possible to use translucent textures on part of a mesh?

Say this was a weapon model and I want some part of the model to be translucent.

In the 3DS2UNR documentation they say to set the material name to TRANSLUCENT... no, that doesn't work.

I've edited my texture and set transparent to true... Nadda, doesn't work either.

I've even combined the two above methods... Still renders solid.

The only thing that works is to set the Style to STY_Translucent for the mesh. Of course, this is no good because it makes the whole model translucent.

Any ideas?

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
You have to select just the faces you want translucent then regroup these and name them translucent then set the style to STY_translucent for this group only. Thats the way I remember it anyway.

Super-K

Apr 18, 2000
www.planetquake.com
Hmm, I'm not sure how to set the Style for a "group" within an imported model.

I have grouped the faces and named their material TRANSLUCENT. So I have two seperate materials applied to my object. One is called TRANSLUCENT and the other is called material_1 (or whatever). The translucent material is only applied to a few faces in the object, the rest of the faces get the normal material.

So I import the model into UT as follows (paraphrased):

#exec MESH IMPORT MESH=testmodel ANIVFILE=MODELS\testmodel_a.3d DATAFILE=MODELS\testmodel_d.3d X=0 Y=0 Z=0
<..snip..>
#exec MESHMAP SETTEXTURE MESHMAP=testmodel NUM=1 TEXTURE=Skins.TestModelsSkin
#exec MESHMAP SETTEXTURE MESHMAP=testmodel NUM=2 TEXTURE=Effects.ClearGlass

The ClearGlass texture colors the proper faces but it's just not translucent. The ClearGlass texture has transparent set to true in its texture properties.

The only Style setting I know of would be for this whole object. I don't know how to set the Style for just one of the imported texture groups...

defaultproperties
{
Style=STY_Translucent
}

?