Help... Game slows down in a fight.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cyclone

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
I have an Intel 400MHz cpu, 128MB-pc100 and a TNT2 Ultra card, DX7, running in D3D mode, and I have a Cable modem. (WIN98SE)

My problem is that when I get into a 1v1 or 1vMore fight my system slows way down. It appears like lag to me, but I don't know for sure. Also it seems to take the game forever to startup and join a server. I alway come into the game dead. I have noticed that when more than 4 players are on a server I have this problem, but if it's just me and 2 others, I seem fine. /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

I have tried just about everything from setting the display to 16bit, 640x480 to adjust the Desired minimum frame rate from 20 to 50.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Cyclone

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
Good idea... It didn't help though.

I'm hoping that after I reload my system the problem will be gone. If not.. heh.. I guess I'm just screwed. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Cyclone

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
Well, I reloaded my system and now UT won't even start on the system. LOL... wow, what luck.

I have gotton 4 different errors starting unreal each at different times. One was a GPF message. Another was a bad Index.*bla bla bla* message, then others to big to mention.

I am running WIN98SE with all the updates from the update page at MS (DX7 and the latest detonator drivers from NVidia.)

I'm lost now.. dunno what more to do with this.

LOL (anyone for Q3?) ;-)

bmmagic

Your system is a lot like mine:
C300a OC'ed to 450 MHz, 128 Meg of Micron PC100, Viper 770 Ultra, Abit BH6, and dual channel ISDN via 3Com Ext ISDN TA.

I'm using D3D at 800x600 and it seems to run great in net games, though not nearly as well as older games, like Tribes and Quake2.

I sure wish Gamespy would hurry up and get an update to support UT, for I don't care for the built in game finder much. Guess I'm just use to Gamespy.

Anyway, I'm not nearly as "addicted" to UT as I thought I would be. At least not at this point. Perhaps some great mods and new levels will improve my desire to play.

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
Check my long winded reply in the thread: "connection problem (video related?)" about doing a clean reinstall of your video card, in case that is your problem

Also did you uninstall and reinstall the game? I'm not sure about what you meant by reloading your system. Are we talking about UT here?

If the problem is strictly online performance, how about tweaking your modem?

Subotai

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
I had the exact same problem (with a 400MHz P2, Creative Video Blaster TNT2 Ultra and DSL connection). The problem is that the game is swapping textures from the harddisk. It slows way down on every hard disk acces (especially when there is a lot going on on the screen). It took me two days to figure out that setting the texture detail to medium for both, world and players, fixed the problem. The PRECACHING time is now minimal (it used to be forever) and I'm running at elevenhundredsomething resolution totally smooth now. I had my doubts after those first two days, but now I'm 100% addicted ! UT ROCKS !

Cyclone

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
It works now guys!!

All I did was uninstall UT... then reboot... then manually delete the c:\UT (short sp) folder... reboot... the install again. I installed UT all over again. I must have done this 3 times before there wasn't an error starting, believe it or not.
I have NO idea what the problem was, or what fixed it. I didn't change my drivers nor did I do anything different then before. It was by chance (IMO) that UT just worked the 3rd time around. I'm glad though!! I have taken top place now on 5 boards in a row since the fresh OS reload and installing UT. Whoo-hoo!

HuFlungDung -- I was speaking of reloading my OS, WIN98SE. I went so far as to reload twice, lol. Thanks for the advice.

And thanks to everyone who replied and tried to help me. Hopefully what I have gone through here will help someone else if they have the same problem.

Have a gg all!!

Cyc