PDA

View Full Version : Mods for UT Game of the year package

Team_Guy
17th Oct 2000, 01:30 PM
Did epic have to pay royalties to the creators of the three mods that come with the game of the year edition or does epic own the rights to do with mods as they see fit? If the first what kind of figures are we talking about? Could mod making become a business?

Raden
17th Oct 2000, 03:21 PM
I don't think it'll ever be a business.. and I hope not cause then they need to stay in business. Therefore they need money from somewhere. You might end up getting charged for all these cool mods. How would you feel about paying $10 to download U4E? or $15 for Infiltration? I personally hope it never, ever, comes to this.

Frederico
17th Oct 2000, 04:04 PM
We were compensated for ChaosUT. They don't own it, they licensed it for inclusion on GOTY. We will continue to develop ChaosUT, got some more new ideas on the drawing board already :)

I have a day job, I don't modmaking will replace it anytime soon :)

ChaosUT will remain free for download. However the version which is shipping on GOTY will not be available until after the GOTY release.

(BoD) nepenthe
17th Oct 2000, 08:31 PM
Question is, HOW long after GotY?

By the way, Tactical Ops will NOT be in GotY. So it's just Chaos and RA.

JuiceEggsMcKenna
17th Oct 2000, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the info Frederico.

The way I see it, whilst your not going to get paid for making mods, if you are interestered in becoming a professional developer, making mods is the No 1 way to achieve that goal.

Produce a body of work, establish a reputation, get hired.

[Edited by JuiceEggsMcKenna on 10-18-2000 at 12:18 AM]

hal
17th Oct 2000, 10:59 PM
Yeah, usually the authors are compensated. That's very fair, considering the work they put into helping promote the Retail product by offering additional ways to use it.

I don't mind that Epic is offering those mods in a Retail package as long as the mods are also available to those of us who have already purchased their work. I remember that ID did the same thing with Q2 - Extremeties.

Frederico
18th Oct 2000, 04:51 AM
Yes, they sure did. ChaosDM was included on Extremities :)

SU3000
18th Oct 2000, 05:00 AM
Where can I download ChaosUT? because your site gives a 404 error :(. And I'd really like to try it sometime. Are there servers running it allready, and if so, which ones ?

(BoD) nepenthe
18th Oct 2000, 05:14 AM
I think this (http://www.planetunreal.com/modsquad/reviews/chaosut2.htm) is the latest beta version. The download link at the bottom worked fine for me. Don't know about servers.

Frederico
18th Oct 2000, 06:53 AM
We've been having some trouble with DNS for some of our secondary sites. Spa is in the process of updating our ChaosUT site so it is fully contained on PU, instead of linking all our mods to one download site.

Beta3 is available for download, but we haven't made an announcement to the news sites because our site isn't ready to handle it :(

However, if you have beta2, you can d/l the beta3 update here:

ChaosUT Beta3 Upgrade from Beta2 umod (http://dl.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?PlanetUnreal/chaotic/builds/chaosut_beta3_upgrade_umod.zip)

If you don't have beta2, the full beta3 is here:

ChaosUT Beta3 Full version umod (http://dl.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?PlanetUnreal/chaotic/builds/chaosut_beta3_full_umod.zip)

Both of these umods set things up ASSUMING that you have the UT Bonus pack installed, if you don't, and are unwilling to install it (why not :) ), you need to delete the line "ServerPackages=ChaosUTRHUD" from your unrealtournament.ini and uncheck the box "Using Relics" from the ChaosUT mod menu.

You'll also want to set up the keybindings you'll need for the grappling hook and stuff from the "Controls" tab of the ChaosUT mod menu.

All of this info will be on our web site when Spa has finished the updates...where's my whip :)

Frederico
18th Oct 2000, 07:26 AM
To answer SU's other question, I'm running a couple of ChaosUT Beta3 servers.

They are:

madHOUSE DM ChaosUT (unreal://209.213.76.195:7777)
madHOUSE CTF ChaosUT (unreal://209.213.76.194:7777)

These servers are sometimes unavailable during office hours (9-5 M-F, Eastern US Time)

There is also a ChaosUT Beta2 server running at NetReach,

NetReach ChaosUT (unreal://chaosut.netreach.net:7777)

This server seems to be up 24x7.

(BoD) nepenthe
18th Oct 2000, 08:28 AM
Alright! A new version of Chaos. Cool! Glad I read this thread.:)

R.Flagg
18th Oct 2000, 08:41 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I implore you, try ChaosUT!

Don't mess with beta 2 though, it doesn't compare with #3. I hope the gentlemen with the beta2 server will upgrade.

Please get this and meet me on a server. We of course, need more servers.

Got a generic UT server not getting played as much as you like? There sure seem to be a ton of empty ones when I look in my browser. Consider making it ChaosUT. Be the first on your block!

SPA
25th Oct 2000, 08:34 AM
Hehe...thanx R.Flagg :)

Well... you wanna make you guys hot for Beta4... it should be out in some weeks and will also upgrade the GOTY version... and as extra goodie for non-GOTY-buyers it will activate the vortex and the sentry turret weapons in the downloaded beta3 versions... if you already wanna have some screenshots and descriptions of them, check out the Info&Docs section at http://www.planetunreal.com/chaotic ;)