Turning MP3's into .umx files?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

optic_freeze

Frozen Solid
Jul 28, 2000
Somewhere In Time
Is this possible? We are starting a new mod and we want to break away from the traditional UT music. OR, is there any other way to do incorporate this into the sound files to use on maps?

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Good luck getting anything useful outta this, Freeze. I started this same thread, too... and it had been done 3 times before, all with the same results: Diddly squat. Sorry dude.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
i can explain this one

basically, the only sorts of files you can convert are .IT, .S3M, XM, and a few others.. but not .mp3

basically, the formats you CAN convert are known as 'digital music files'. this means they are created by getting several short sounds (usually .WAV files), placing them onto a grid type thing (using a program called a Tracker) and the player plays whichever sounds/notes are put into this 'grid'

basically, thats the only way of doing music that .umx format understands, because an .mp3 works just like one long sound file

sorry if that was a bit complex, but i hope it helps you a bit. basically, to dumb it down a shade - 'nope, you can't turn .mp3s into .umxs.. not yet anyway'

Phil McKraken

Oct 15, 2000
RI,USA
Visit site
I have the same post out in the newsgroup and here somewhere. I have even downloaded a trakker program. Which leads my to believe that you have to have a alot of time on your hands since the trakker programs are complicated. I have no idea why none of the teams of people writting mods ahven't figured a way to write a mod to have UT play MP3 files.
Any ways, if you finf a way to do it, or fidn a simple set of instructions on how to convert wav to umx please let me know!
Personnaly a little Rob Zombie really helps the killing mood :)

Phil McKraken

Oct 15, 2000
RI,USA
Visit site
Found something that might help

Hang On.. I found this which might help a little.
it is from unrealized.com
Not an absolute solution, but it's something. Unfortunatly it appears you can only associate a song with a map. Damn.

Put WAV Music Into UMX (Music) by Angus

Here is how I got wav files into UT.

Update: See below.

Download modplug player from http://www.modplug.com and install.

Press Open and select WAV files from the file types.

Browse to the WAV file you wish to include in UT and open it within mod player.

Select Save As: Impulse Tracker modules (.IT). Save file.

Open your UT editor. On the right hand side is a grey column with heading "Browse". By default Music should be selected.

Then at the bottom of the grey Browse colomn select Import. Browse to the file you just saved as an IT. After you import it it should appear in the column. Highlight the file. Select Save. It should prompt you to save it as a UMX file.

Now what you have to do is find out what music track is associated with which map.
For example "Peak" (deathmatch) uses Razor-ub.umx. Move this file somewhere else then re-name your recently created UMX file Razor-ub.umx. Drag this file to the Music directory. Now when you play the "Peak" map the music will be whatever wav file you originally started with.

But take note:
UT will have trouble playing a large file. I tried it with a 44MB file and it simply would not work. I then used easy cdda extractor to compress it down to 1.4MB and it worked fine, but the sound quality was shocking. I can only suggest raising the quality of the wav file in a trial & error fashion. Hope this helps.

Update: Just an update to importing WAV files in UT. Let me be clear it DID work when I did it the first time. It played the music file no problems
but when I tried to do it again in exactly the same way as I previously described with a different song. It just would not work and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I then tried with original song and again it didn't work. I'll be working on this and as soon as to figure out whats going on I'll let you know. So please don't email me telling me it doesn't work. Apologies to all those who have tried in vain to get their favorite songs into UT using my method and failed. It CAN be done. As soon as I have the solution I'll email Unrealized.