trouble trying to run a server on LAN or internet

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

manyselavy

May 21, 2000
Visit site
I've got UT patched to the latest version (4.32), win2k. Each time I try to launch a server, i get right back to my windows desktop, with no warning, no error message. Why ? whe I try a dedicated server, the others can't find the game. (it works well with q3,why not with this one ?).
Thanks for you're help.

Lord_Dragon[FB]

that's some cold ****
your desktop shows up because the server is starting up. look at the bar next to your clock. if you see a unreal logo, you can get server info from that.

as for people not seeing your server...if you are on a LAN, optimize the server for the LAN. as for the internet...if you are on a LAN, it's possible there are no ports open for the outside world to come in on (aka, the ports are stealth...this is what they have at the university i attend. i cannot start up a server for anything but LAN games because nobody outside the school's network could get onto the server). that may be the case. i don't know though cause you weren't too specific.

manyselavy

May 21, 2000
Visit site
re

indeed, when i run a dedicated server, i can see the icon in my quickbar. but when i don't run a dedicated server (i don't have 20 computers, so i can't afford runing a dedicated one), i get right back to my desktop with no icon in my quickbar. Unreal just...quits, no messages at all. It used to work on older versions but i'd prefer not to downgrade back to another version. could my firewall be responsible ? (i have zonealarm)

Aug 7, 2000
Why the others can't see you when you've set up a dedicated:

-Are you running a firewall....it could block incoming network traffic......

-Port mappings....are the correct ports opened for UT.....check your firewall/routing settings......

-All the computers in the same workgroup.....subnetmask OK......NIC and cable functioning?

-Do you use a HUB.....I don't know if UT requires a HUB,I've never played without one.

-I don't usually work with win2k but it seems the other computer needs to confirm your user name and password login....to give you access to this computer......something new in win2K.......

Check these......I'll probably respond tomorrow.......

-You can't set up a normal multiplayer game.....but you can set up a dedicated......strange.....you changed something in the *ini considering serverpackages? Don't have a clue otherwise..........

-Revenant

manyselavy

May 21, 2000
Visit site
i've resolved one of the two pb : i can create a LAN game, dedicated and not dedicated. but still, other can't see me. i don't think win2k pass and user is a pb, because i create the game on a win98 computer, which doesn't need any password to access to it. my network works, since i can play quake 3, age of kings or battlezone 2, and i can share my files. it is quite odd, before migrating to win2k, i could join and play a UT LAN game with no pb (i used to play with patch 4.13. that wouldn't be the pb, would it ?). I've got the same pb with diablo2, which refuses to find my other computers. is it a pb with the game, or with the OS ?
Thanks for you're help.

Epée

Nov 6, 2000
Visit site
Manyselavy,

I have the same problem as you. Whenever I start a multiplayer game, UT switches to my desktop, without any error message.

What did you do to fix this?

Epée

manyselavy

May 21, 2000
Visit site
well, i just reinstalled the game...but this time, i'll keep my unrealtournament.ini file in a safe place, since i always install more and more mods, which seems to lock UT up. By the way, after you've reinstalled the game, if other players can see you're LAN game, could you tell me what is your config (ports, firewall, etc... anything that might help me). Thanks.

manyselavy

May 21, 2000
Visit site
on the server computer, i haven't installed any mutators (just the bonus pack). the server launches, doesn't crash, but other computer can't see my game (no mutators, no firewall are installed on this one).

Merlin|BuF

Magically Delicious
Nov 3, 2000
Edmonton Alberta CANADA!
Visit site
??????????

Thats really wierd have you tried peeking at a log file? Personally I just started coding (I still suck and haven't done anything) but whenever something goes wrong in the mod your making you check the .log file the error if there is one should (maybe, I'm not sure about what it logs) be in there.

try that if not well I just don't know