V-Sync

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BioMechanoid75

Oct 5, 2000
Visit site
here are my specs:

athlon thunderbird 800 mhz
128 mb RAM
30 gb Maxtor 7200 rpm hard drive
16x DVD-ROM
Creative Labs Annihilator 2 GeForce2 card
Detonator 3 Drivers

when playing games (especially noticeable in first person shooters), i have the following problem. when moving around,
especially when i turn around, the image seems to sort of tear horizontally across the screen. it looks sort of like one horizontal portion of the screen is a split second behind the other until i stop moving. if i turn v-sync on in the display panel, it fixes the problem. but i've read that v sync on will degrade performance. is there any other way to get rid of this problem? is it a normal occurrence?

Kray

Time chaser
Sep 17, 2000
Fool's Paradise
utgallery.tripod.com
V-sync will reduce performace, but only just a little. For an 800mhz system of yours, it shouldn't be a problem at all. You have to enable v-sync in UT, or else you'll get the "tearing" in the graphics. As for as I know, there's no way around this. But not all first-person shooter requires v-sync to be on. I normally disable the v-sync when playing half-life (or other quake engine-based games) to get the extra fps. Try all your first person shooter with v-sync off. If the tearing occurs, than that game requires v-sync to be on, otherwise, leave it off. Hope this helps :)

darklite

Apr 3, 2000
I think this was already figured out in the UT forum, but I'll put my $0.02 in anyway. :)

vsync only reduces performance if you have a crap monitor (ie; mine). even then, it only reduces your maximum fps and doesn't really make a difference where it counts, your lowest framerate. now, I've ran my GeForce for probably five months or so with vsync 'off by default' for both D3D and OpenGL.. I've noticed no tearing at all except when I changed the 'render frames ahead' part to five instead of the default three

if you are experiencing tearing with vsync off, by all means turn vsync on. the only time vsync would even matter is when you benchmark your system... and I'm going to assume most people don't use UT for benchmarking only.. ;)