UT and Win2000pro

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

manyselavy

May 21, 2000
Visit site
I'm planning to upgrade from old win98 to the new win 2000 professionnal. How does UT works under that system (direct3d and Glide)?

Ultron

Robot XMP Beta Tester
Mar 6, 2000
Secret Hideout
clans.utworld.net
I'm having problems with Win2K and UT right now. Can't play more then 5-15 minutes before I spontaneously reboot.

AMD K6-2+ 550MHz
128MB SDRAM PC100
45GB ATA-66 HD
MX300 sound
SMC 1211 NIC

I've done safe BIOS tweaks.
Removed all cards but my V5 5500 AGP
Ran in Glide, D3D or software
Have the latest drivers for all my cards and devices
Latest Win2K critical updates
Removed and reinstalled UT, then the 428 (now 432) patch, and Bonus Pack.
Tested the DIMM I use.
Checked the motherboard for tightness.
Made sure nothing's contacting the motherboard, etc in my rig.
Have a large fan blowing in my case when the power's on. CPU temp guage reports well within heat tolerance. Nothing is overclocked.
Hard drive has no file system errors. Ran defrag as well.
Etc etc etc. I've spent hours on this. I'm a tech, too, so I'm not clueless here.

Anyhow I STILL reboot spontaneously, only in UT. But I am giving up unless someone has a good idea. I never had this problem in all the previous version of Windows. And now in UT, at no set interval or period of time, I suddenly reboot.

I also ran with all other apps disabled.

I need to know what the best way of going back to Win98SE is if nobody has a solution for me with W2K.

Thank you. :)

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Ultron's rebooting

Ultron,

Sorry to hear that! Do you have any monitoring software that came with your motherboard? If you do try installing it and watch your voltage levels. It may well be your power supply isn't maintaining proper voltage to your entire system (guessing video card) and is trippng the BIOS to do a system reboot. If you can get a hold of another higher wattage supply you might try swapping it out for testing purposes and see if that changes the problem. Before mine blew I was having a similar problem and now that I've replaced the supply mine isn't doing that anymore.

Let me know!

AmigaOne

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Another question...

Ultron,

Did you try putting the DIMM in a different slot? Since DIMMS are individually addressable it should work in any of them. Perhaps there is some odd glitch that Win2K is noticing that the others didn't.

Man.. can you see my head smoking from this one???

As for the best way of going back to 98SE.. well reinstall is really the only way unless you prepare ahead of time with a backup. Depending on whether or not you used NTFS during the install of Win2K will also determine how much pain and suffering you go through as you'll have to fdisk and delete the NON-DOS partitions before you can even do anything and then sit and wait for it to do a DOS level format of your C partition. That's always so much fun. :D

Do you have a cd-rom burner? I use Veritas Backup Exec Desktop Edition which will use cd-r and cd-rw disks for backup media and I just imaged my entire system before blowing it away with another OS. That's probably the easiest way and the version 4.0 of this I believe will actually let you create bootable restore backup disks allowing you to put the old OS back on. Haven't had to do this yet as my system blew before I could try it.

Hells_Angel

[AxE]Hells_Angel
Nov 16, 2000
Ft. Fun, CO
I just installed win2k this weekend and I am also having the same problem with UT. Mine system rebooted no matte what I am doing but it has every time I have played UT since the upgrade. I didn't reinstall UT as it was on another partition. My system never rebooted on it's own running 98se, but then again, UT looks 100% better in win2k. It is weird. Some friends had the same thing happen when they installed win2k. They said it did it at first, and eventually stopped.

soyrico

Apr 2, 2000
Visit site
I use Win2K. With the V3-2k video (agp) I had no problems. But then it really isnt agp, is it. I couldnt use my prophetII (GeForce2 GTS 64meg) for the longest time because of an agp issue. System stability just wasnt there.

I am using (unfortunately) a via chipset on an asus mobo. My problem was fixed by installing the latest 4-in-1 drivers from via (the agp drivers as well) and installing a patch from MS specifically intended to correct the agp problem in Win2K. (There is a known agp problem in Win2K).

If you are using via chipsets get this http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/recommended/q261606/default.asp

Dont forget the latest from via.

Also note that agp 4x is relatively uncharted territory. Use 2x until you are certain of stability.

Thanks

Jim
bodkins@prologic.com