usb port for cable modem - ok, or is no ok?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

lunchblaze

Codlike
Jul 31, 2000
East Fort Sp0rkville
this post was originally burried in the "ethernet cards" post, but i'm really interested in getting some specific responses - thus the new topic:

when the cable boy came to install my stuff, i wasn't home. anyway, they used an ethernet to usb adapter in line from the modem to my usb port.

am i losing performance by not using a nic, or what?
my pings have really started to blow for the last week.
i was at 450 on the roost last night (which makes for frequent re-spawns), and i haven't seen a sub-200 ping in a week and a half.

its probably crowding on my node or whatever, but if a nic could improve my biznatch, i'd like to know.

thanks.

Sir Robin

Utter st00b
Sep 4, 2000
Visit site
Hey Lunchblaze,

I have pretty limited experience with the USB adapters, but from what I've seen, a good PCI ethernet adapter will far out-perform the USB adapters.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
USB claims to run at 12M/sec, while a new PCI Ethernet claim 100M/sec. (These are the specs, actual results vary). But, since your cable line probably gives you under 600k/sec (and most certainly under 2M/sec), you would not see any Internet improvement by getting a NIC.

Time for another plan to improve those golf scores :)

lunchblaze

Codlike
Jul 31, 2000
East Fort Sp0rkville
thanks for the reply you freakin hammer monkey!:)

i suppose i'll try it then. i just realized that i've got a netgear 310 something or other sitting in a spare comp.

i don't know why i never bothered to try it.
oh yeah, now i know, i am a stoob.

out.

lunchblaze

Codlike
Jul 31, 2000
East Fort Sp0rkville
ack!
skold, your post came in while i was typing my reply to robin. i don't like yours as much as his though!
oh well, i reckon it's back to harrassing at&t.

it's gotten so bad lately that i just turn UT off from about 8:00 to 11:00 due to accellerated pingbad.

which is really fortunate for all you guys, because those are precisely the hours during which i totally rock the casbah at UT!!!

oh well, i guess the online world will never know my true skillz0rz because of my technical interference:)

RIGHT!

out.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Well since you already have a NIC, go ahead and try it. I suppose it's possibe that the USB adapter is defective.

Just get it fixed in time for Friday Night Frag Fest.

Sir Robin

Utter st00b
Sep 4, 2000
Visit site
sniff, sniff----

Why yes, I think that was pimpage of the The Friday Night Fragfest, (IP 216.40.75.71) a great way to spend a Friday night.

sniff, sniff----

I'm catching a whiff of it again.

RubeOne

Jun 7, 2000
Visit site
Lunchblaze,
Where are you from? I ask because alot of people in my area here, Grand Rapids Michigan, have been having problems with their at&t cable modem. My buddy called and at&t admitted to having some problems but to no surprise at&t didn't know why they were having problems or when they would stop. What a joke. Oh well, at&t has been gr8 so far up until a few days ago. I haven't ran into many customer service techs that really knew what they were talking about over the phone did you? So call if you want. Maybe you can get something out of them this time. But if you don't, don't say I didn't warn you. Good luck to all of us cable users, keep your fingers crossed.

lunchblaze

Codlike
Jul 31, 2000
East Fort Sp0rkville
RubeOne,
i'm in alabama, so i don't know if there's a correlation.
anyway, they are fairly useless so far. i called from work, and it went a little something like this:

me: i have problems with my internet access speed

she: how long does it take to open up web pages

me: well i don't really know how to time that, plus its also dependent on the server and other things, however i did do the ping www test out of dos and i averaged over 300 ms consistently from 8 - 11 pm.

she: well, what about web pages?

me: i don't know that. i don't know what you are wanting me to tell you.

she: you know, how long does it take to open up web pages.

me: (giving up a logical conversation and just starting to make stuff up) well it's slower than my old 56k connection. - i actually never had 56 k, i went straight from 33.6 to cable, but in a useless conversation, who cares.

so, i will cross some fingers, but there's one specific finger i'll keep flipped up and pointed at at&t.

out.