Voice chat while playing ut?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
A thought occurred to me. I recently downloaded Yahoo! Messenger and noticed that they have a voice chat feature in addition to the instant message. Has anyone ever tried to use this chat while playing UT? I am assuming it would cause some lag, but don't know how significant it would be.

_Zd_Ringi_

Rorschach alike
Sep 14, 2000
De Achterhoek
Dunno that, but I was wondering if anyone ever used Roger Wilco during a clanwar. Is it usable and how much bandwith does it take? Can U put a server on one of the member pc's?

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
In clan matches, voice chat can mean a big difference between winning and losing. RW is used by alot of clans, as well as Team Sound, and BattleCom. RW is quite basic and works well. Sound quality is a bit low, but understandable. Team Sound and Battlecom have better sound quality. They also have features to bind "words or custom speeches" to keys. However, ever member must have the speech pack loaded or they won't here the speech. They also have the ability to seperate members into Attack or Defense, or more exactly team A and team B. This is great for clan practices where one host server can host both sides. RW doesn't support this feature and requires two seperate host servers. TS and BC take a bit more bandwidth than RW.

As for these proggies taking up alot of bandwidth...it's not that bad where it causes packetloss. It depends on who is hosting and how good your modem is online really.

Comm is very important in games, and with voice comms, it greatly enhances the ability to defend and attack.

Troll|PuF

Poetic Terrorist
May 2, 2000
Temporary Autonomous Zone
We use voicecomm in every game and every practise, it's made all the difference. You can't afford the precious seconds to type something like "carrier went through the rocket launcher side, don't come in, come around flak side, I need to heal up and grab a weapon"

It really helps in 1vs1 practises where come of us will spec the other one and give pointers and tips, it's a great way to teach everyone without having to type all the time :)

-BHS-Snowdog

Aug 2, 2000
www.wuher.com
We prefer Firetalk when we can use it, but often are stuck with Roger Wilco since it's the only one supported by Macs (we have two Mac victims in the clan.) Does anybody know of any OTHER voice comm software that is cross-platform compatible?

dizasta

Apr 21, 2000
Visit site
Roger Wilco? Bleh. I despise it. My clan checked out all the Voice Comms and we found that BattleCom worked the best for us. I usually run the BC server and I dont notice any lag while I am running it and playing the game at the same time. With RW, I lagged like hell and noone could understand a damn thing everyone was saying.