My computer sucks!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

XANMAN

Sep 24, 2000
UK
Visit site
I've got a 600MHZ AMD Duron, 96MB RAM and a tnt2 3d card.
It's got tonnes of problems. It doesn't start all the time. If it does my games only work some times! UT starts sometimes without sound and sometimes crashes the comp. Plus, while playing sometimes it stalls form a sec and then carries on which ends with my death. I noticed that if my sound that goes when I open the START menu doesn't go none of my games work. I could go on but I won't. Any help? Oh yeah, this is a 6 week old computer.

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
Morety his computer sucks. Are there any questions you'd like to ask him about that?

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Is it a diamond monster sound card? If so, you should update the drivers from aureal3d website, not diamond's.

What patch are you running on UT.

Have you updated all your pertinent drivers?

Are you running Winblows? Which edition?

What bios are you running on your mainboard?

Blowfish

Jul 17, 2000
New York City
mechanize.net
This doesn't help but just for the record..

My sound in UT is also screwed sometimes. It works about 80% of the time, but after I use the system for a while, it stops. I still haven't found the program that's causing this conflict. Maybe it happens when I improperly shut down UT and it doesn't unload something. Sound can't be played back at all, it doesn't just stop solely in UT.

Once I also had a delay in sound. The sound played about 2 seconds after I did something in UT.

As for crashing. It may be a problem of mixed ram or something similar. But that's unlikely if you have a pre-assembled system. Your operating system may have poor support for some of your hardware.

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
We're sorry, but we were looking for "And does it swallow?" Thanks for playing. we'll see ya next week!

XANMAN

Sep 24, 2000
UK
Visit site
Awww well, I'll just have to hope it works more times than it doesn't. On the plus side, I'll treasure each moment playing more. Thanx anyway.

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Make sure you're using the detonater3 drivers from nvidia's site for the video card. Once again, diamond are notorious for not updating their drivers.

I found I had major problems due to the sound card. Based on what you're saying, that'd be my guess.

Is it possible to borrow a sound card to try it out in your computer to see how it works? Soundblaster Live is a good one to throw in there. If you're just using a generic sound card, that could be the cause of your prob's.

G-Lite

ftw
Jul 25, 2000
g-lite.kochen.nl
Time for me to show up:
Seems as soon as I updated too 425 UT often didn't show anything. Only music played. When I pressed alt+enter it worked fine. And when I press ctrl+alt+del and select cancel, UT closes and shows up an DDR_SURFACELOST error. Also the music sometimes sounds like it only detected two channels...

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Yeah, it really does sound like the sound card. You said it was a "built in". Does that mean it's permenantly attatched to the motherboard? I know some Compaq's do that because it's cheaper....very annoying.

Soundblasters are pretty cheap. Hopefully you have a spare PCI slot.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
If the sound card is integrated onto the mainboard, you can look at the mainboard or mainboard manual to find out what type of sound card it is. On the board there is a chip that'll say something (ie. Creative 45556 - i just made that up) then you can go to the board manufacturer's site and it'll likely tell you what kind of sound chip it is and may even have drivers there.

Oh yeah, Windows Device Manager (in Control Panel, System) might tell you what kind of sound card it is. Then you can search for an updated driver based on that.

XANMAN

Sep 24, 2000
UK
Visit site
I'll try those nvidia drivers Morety. I checked the device manager,VIA PCI Audio Controller? Despite its name its not in a PCI slot.The motherboard is a Gigabyte motherboard. It didn't come with the comp, I bought it after someone,lol, flashed the bios of the orginal. Thanx for the input on the sound card, I'll try your suggestions but I really think the tnt2's the problem. It didn't work with my old motherboard, Creative told me after I wrote to them, that's good huh. The reason you might all be thinking it's the sound card is from how I said my problem. When I said it stalls, I meant the whole game, not the sound. This never happened with my old Voodoo 2.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
I bet it's the video card. As far as your sound card, those integrated ones are actually on the PCI bus, just built in. So VIA PCI Audio Controller sounds like it.