Compressed Textures?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FreeBird-Seven

Sep 17, 2000
Visit site
On the second UT CD are compressed textures, and I was wondering what kind of a video card would use these. I just got a new video card (first 3d card) and wondered if they would work. It's a Voodoo3 3000. Would they work?

Jabberwocky

Dec 5, 1999
Visit site
'fraid not

The compressed textures are S3TC or S3 (card manufacturer) Texture Compression. Voodoo3 does not support that type of compression.

Ultron

Robot XMP Beta Tester
Mar 6, 2000
Secret Hideout
clans.utworld.net
Nvidia's GeForce cards
ATI's Radeon cards
3dfx's Voodoo 4 and 5 cards

ALL support DXTC in Direct3D, as well as S3TC in OpenGL. EXCEPT that the Voodoo 4/5 cards actually substitute FXT1 for S3TC in OpenGL. You can use FXT1 in OpenGL for any game that supports S3TC in OpenGL. But it's my belief that PRECOMPRESSED textures as the ones on the second CD cannot be decompressed via FXT1. Only regular uncompressed textures can be compressed via FXT1. Or textures that are precompressed using the FXT1 protocol can be decompressed by the V5 cards. I don't know about DXTC though, although I suspect it is exactly like S3TC.

The only reason I say that the V4/5 cannot decompress the already compressed S3TC textures on the second CD of UT, is because a of yet I have done what works for GeForce and Radeon users for my V5 and only get white textures in UT.

Loki has supposedly fixed this for other cards at least with their LATEST OpenGL DLL. But I'm going to see tonight if the V5 can see those textures.

The Voodoo 3 does not support any texture compression at all of any type.