Servers where people actually work as a team.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lasker

Sep 26, 2000
Visit site
I've been playing UT online for a few days now, and am somewhat disheartened about the online teamplay. I used to play Quake1 team deathmatch alot on DM3, and people would be in constant communication and work together very well. However, whenever I play a UT game online, people are just always on their own agenda, A CTF game comes down to only individual skills instead of how well the teams coordinated. Does anyone know any servers where I can find people who work as a team, I'm sure it would be much more fun...

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Do you have team speech binds set?

I think you'll find that if you start communicating with your team, others follow suit for the most part. Take the leadership role and things will happen.

When the game starts, ask who's going to play D. If no one replies, say "I'm on Defence, take their flag". You'll likely get a roger out of this.

If you've got teamsay keybinds set, use them and let your team know when the power ups are available, whether or not the enemy's in your base if someone on your team has the flag, your <==I'm here keybinds if you've got the flag.

In other words, talk like a maniac and others will respond if they've got the keybinds.

If you want teamwork and communications, take a look at who is on a server before you enter. If you see a lot of clan tags, the odds are there's some good teamwork going on.

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
I agree with Morety. Take charge and you'll usually get a response. Play with clanners and you'll usually get some attempt at coordination.

That being said, you'll still get a lot of cases where people just don't plain listen. Sometimes I think people just ignore that little box up in the corner of their screen. "Oooooo...pretty words...must ignore...." Hehe :p

I've also found that the more skilled the individual players are, the more likely they are to communicate. This isn't always the case...some pros are jerks...but if you find a server where there are regulars, you'll usually have good games. As server suggestions I offer:

The Roost - |C|ondemneds home turf. Usually a lot of high quality players show up here.

WhineOnline - Actually SwineOnline ;) Some really high caliber players show up hear if you can stand some of the whiners that show up :) I personally have made this server my new home, as I can't help but improve when playing against the regulars there.

(Unfortunately, I don't know the IP's of either server...)

Troll|PuF

Poetic Terrorist
May 2, 2000
Temporary Autonomous Zone
WhineOnline HAHAHAHAH....nice nickname for it ;)

Lasker, try hanging out in PuF's irc channel:

irc.gameslink.net #planetunreal

you'll find lots of folks starting pickup games, taking over empty servers, etc. My very first post on PuF was exactly what yours was. I was sick of no teamwork, and really wanted to be able to play CTF. So I hung out in channel and followed PuFfers into games.

4 months later, I still can't find the flag, but that's besides the point. :)

Fizzy

Bubbling
May 3, 2000
Visit site
A few teamwork-prone servers:

The Roost: 208.7.42.3
VectorWorld.Com: 206.146.36.67
SwineOnline: 207.239.163.236
FragNation: 64.8.8.207
PhillyClan: 216.254.75.176

~Fizzy

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
Hehe..I wish I could take credit for it, but the new nickname for Swine was actually coined by Jim Bodkins. :)

And yeah...hanging out in #planetunreal will usually get you some good games.

And thanks for posting those IP's Fizzy. :)

Robo-Junkie

Ghost of Robo-Past
Apr 30, 2000
IN
Most people just seem to want to go for the flag, since it's more likely going to be more fun than just sitting in the base. Ofcourse, there's also the stat whores. The people that don't care if they win or not, but how many points they get in the long run.

I've also had some bad experiences with online human teammates, which is why I tend to shy away from Public CTF & TDM servers, since people tend to ignore pleas for help when they don't know the person :/