Windows ME

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
Was toying around with ME today at work and only found one new feature that is worth anything (if it really even works) It looks like if you change something in your sys windows will remember it so if your sys starts crashing you can go restore your settings back to a date when your machine was running fine. Anybody tried this feature yet? I think there is already a third party program out there that will do this for you, if I'm not mistaken.

And I dont know if this is true but I heard that microsoft is allowing you to install a copy of ME on two computers. If you dont register it when you install it you get 50 boots before it locks you out completely until you register. Is this true? I'm sure there will be a crack for this sooner or later...

Sep 10, 2000
Boston, MA
www.clanbhs.com
About the restore thing. This is not a new feature. You have been able to do this since the days of DOS. Perhaps Windows ME makes it easier but it has always been an option. For non Windows ME users to restore an old working registry go to DOS and type:
c:\windows\scanreg /restore

That will bring up the DOS Registry Restorer. I have done it a few too many times and it has always fixed my problems. However any programs that you installed after the date you are restoring from may not work correctly unless you re-install them.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
There is third party software that has a similar interface as ME for restoring. It does look pretty handy, but I don't think it will get me to upgrade. I just recently used my upgrade CD to go from W95 to W98. I'm predicting I'll install ME in ...oh 2002 or so. :)

RubeOne

Jun 7, 2000
Visit site
I have a Gateway and they have a program from a company called WildCard that makes "Go Back" which would be the same right. My buddy just bought a compaq with a similar program.

zaqwer

Experienced
May 12, 2000
Swe
Visit site
Installed ME a while ago.

UT runs very fine on ME,(maybe because i bought a new comp at the same time ,athlon800-256ram).

ME is much more stable than win98 was, i think.

I have used the recovery feature and it also works perfect.

The only strange thing is this:
After having played UT ,for example, when i try to turn off the comp i get a bluescreen.(and that didn't happen with win98)

But if i ctrl-alt-delete and turn off something called: "winmgmt" (something like that), before i turn off the comp ,it seems to work.

btw there is also something called ROBOT in the ctrl-alt-del window------and what the ***** is that?

Crager

Ahh...just a player here
Apr 30, 2000
NY
www.teamimmortal.org
I thought it was Wildfile? Go Back works great, saved my butt a number of times.

Windows ME does have it built in. I've used it already and it seems to work the same as Go Back. What it does is restore your whole system to a saved point from the past.

ThunderSub1

Aug 18, 2000
Toronto, Canada
www.geocities.com
I used that feature once

I recently got a new PC with ME installed in it. The boot-up times are remarkably faster than those of 98. It's much more smooth and stable.

The other day I downloaded a new driver for my WinModem(you're telling me!). Either it was me or the driver...but instead of updating my modem drivers, the earlier drivers got deleted and the new ones would'nt install. I tried reconfiguring my modem from the software list, but it was'nt in the Windows list. I was badly stuck. Then on a whim, I used the Me's 'System Restore' to go back to a day earlier when the modem drivers were fine. I selected the day before, the PC restarted and the modem drivers were back as if nothing had happened. Everything was restored to the earlier day's status. I had made some presentations the day my modem went down. They were still there, along with the rest of earlier files. It's a great feature. Make sure it takes a snapshot of your system every day.

Darkie

Untill today there are still some serious ME problems.

- Bad sound with the Soundblaster PCI 128 + UT
- Locking up more then 98
- Bad when installing 2 diff. langueges (Me Englisch + dutch office).
- some other problems regarding proxy
- The homenetworking = very good especially for hackers.

One thing about the restore:
I has the ability to crash during restore!!!! And that means your whole Windows ME is ruined.

D.

Xzibit|PuF

I'm what happens when a can of Spam and a m0 mate.
Feb 2, 2000
Visit site
UT running fine on winme

ive been running winME for almost 1 week.. and i havent had a crash yet... i did a "stress test" on it and its been running fine with UT to no problems

~NitroFish*

Jun 26, 2000
Tucson, AZ ,USA
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting Windows Me this weekend. One of the things I've heard and read about Windows Me is that it has improved internet networking code, especially for broadband users, so pings times are generally better and more stable.

Has anyone heard or read anything more on this regarding Windows Me and improved internet code?

chris_nl

Adept
Sep 29, 2000
here & there
Visit site
winME sucks

I just installed windows ME and it sucks badddd
I can't get into the GUI(windows sub-menu in UT)
because it crashes when I push [Esc], I'm now downing the latest patch, hope that it fixes the problem, but to anyone whose thinking about buying windowsME ---DONT---

BTW if the patch doesnt fix it I don't know wat I'll do to myself or my pc, so watch out ya'all

[BFBI]chris_nl :(

Lord_Dragon[FB]

that's some cold ****
well, i have 98se, and i'm stick with that until the next OS is out. word is that ME is the last DOS based kernel; microsoft is supposed to base the next home-user OS on a modified NT kernel (well, ME was supposed to have that too, but they couldn't do it in time or something). much more stable with much better security. only real problem is that NT kernel isn't the best with games and other home-user programs.

if they can tweak the NT kernel to work well with home-user apps, damn i'll jump on that OS. the better stability and security...oh it sounds nice.

(of course, this is microsoft...no matter what it won't be perfect...)

PhatDong

Sep 23, 2000
I tried the ME thing but it didn't work for me either. Frequent crashing and slow network performance. I'm sure it will be good later, ME Second Edition or whatever MS wants to call it. It was the same with Win98. Didn't run well til SE was released.

Claude_Ballz

Ballz-Like
Jan 17, 2000
Visit site
i just installed ME, and so far i like it ... i was starting to have some problems w/ 98.
But what's this deal about the 50 boots, then lock-out if you don't register?

:redeemer:

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
It's ME for me, I'll never go back to SE...

I've been running ME for a couple of months, now, and it's alright. It's more stable for me, boots faster, and crashes less. The coolest things that I've found are really minor - the ability to turn the Control Panel settings into a menu of its own, and the ability to resort the start menu on the fly. I think the netcode is marginally better, and UT crashes less for me with, uh, ME.

I *do* get that weird BSOD at shutdown, tho. Since it's minor and doesn't affect anything (other than bringing up that obnoxious Scandisk window EACH AND EVERY TIME YOU BOOT, it's basically harmless.

Mrukk

Inhuman
May 10, 2000
Baltimore, MD
Bad shutdown and scandisk thingy sux0r!

Still, like Phydeaux says, it is minor... I can have my windows running for days without having to reboot. That was unheard of under Win98 :)