Newbie Editor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bogdon

Sep 21, 2000
Rochester NY
Visit site
Things are moving the basics are falling into place but I have run into a snag.When I put a door opening in a wall I create a box to fit, position it and subtract it and now I have my opening no problem.However..
I had created a large land mass(in 2d editor extruded and rescaled to fit), in my world that has been added and some buildings sit on that at ground level.Outside 1 of the buildings I am trying to create a well(a hollow cylinder) that will cut thru the ground project down and join with some tunnels/caves below(which are inside my land mass).I can't seem to get the well to project thru the ground properly so as to allow a player to drop down into the caves below.In fact I want to repeat this thru floors etc down the rd showing me what I am doing wrong and the proper way is much appreciated.
Why wouldn't the same proceedure work as in a door opening thru a wall for my well in the ground.All it wants to do is intersect with the ground cutting off half my well and no opening in the middle.
Thanx

RFairey

King of the Faireys
Aug 2, 2000
Somewhere Else
Visit site
You have not explained it too clearly, but I may say something that will help. To make a cylindrical hole in the ground, right click the cylinder tool, (you may already know this, but I am starting from the beginning), and set its height to the depth of your well. Set its radius to half of the width of your well, and make it have 16 or 8 sides. Make sure it is a solid cylinder, not a hollow one, or you will end up with a tube shape. Solid refers to the brush shape, not the hole. If you use the hollow cylinder option, you end up with a well shape, but with a solid area in the middle that you don't want.

Position the red brush where you want your well, and hit subtract. No need for intersection or deintersection.

Note: Intersect will make your red brush into the shape of all the empty space inside the red brush at the start. Deintersection will make the red brush the shape of all the solid space inside your red brush.

Bogdon

Sep 21, 2000
Rochester NY
Visit site
RFairey
Answered my question perfectly.
I'm still learning (and will continue for a while)that this program does things its way and not the way that I think things should be done.But thats part of the fun.
Thanx for your help

Bogdon

Sep 21, 2000
Rochester NY
Visit site
BTW RFairey nice explanation on intersect deintersect.If you didn't get that from an existing tutorial you might consider
writing,it made understanding those functions much clearer to this newbie.