FTP'ing something to NC (haven't FTP'd anything b4!)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Mar 13, 2000
Manchester
www5.50megs.com
How do I FTP a map to NC, as their email submission system is crap (emailed my map three times, 8 weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Where do i get an FTP program from and how do I use the damn thing, is it easy!?! help please, it is a good map!!!)

Poof

Sep 13, 2000
Visit site
Windows should have an FTP client with it.... You would need to know the FTP site name or address for NC and then determine whether they have a public anonymous FTP uploading directory for maps....

Generally, the syntax is (at a DOS prompt):

ftp nameofsite

where "nameofsite" is NC's public FTP site.

Once there, you'll see a login prompt (and it would hopefully say that "anonymous logins" are okay. You would then enter "anonymous" for the username and your email address for the password. Then if you get that far, you can usually do either a "dir" or "ls" at the prompt to see where you are. Often you'll see a directory structure that lists something called "/pub". If you do a:

cd pub

then do a dir, you may see directories that say "uploads" and/or "downloads", plus other directories for various things. If they have an "uploads" directory, you would then need to use the command that will copy your map from your machine to their machine. Also you need to make sure that the "mode" of copying is "binary" (because your map is not just plain text". So at your little ftp> prompt, you would need to type:

binary

Then try typing:

put c:\pathwheremapis\nameofmap.unr nameofmap.unr

(where there's a space between the "c:\pathwheremapis\nameofmap.unr" and the "nameofmap.unr") - basically you're copying your map file to a file that will be created on their machine, which will keep the same name as your file - you have to explicitly tell it that.

Again, this all depends on whether they have something like that setup.

Mar 13, 2000
Manchester
www5.50megs.com
DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My first map is up! I FTP'd it last night with cuteFTP, I used gozilla to check it was there, if any of you guys want to check it is called - DM-Hellsgateway, I accept it is no work of art but it's my first proper map.

Thanks guys!!!

INFERNO