newbie POLL:What input devices/rig do U use for UT???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ChrisQuickTA

Jul 1, 2000
New BRunswick, NJ, USA
Visit site
Just wondering what is the best setup as far as a controller/mouse or something else. Right now I use a microsoft intellieye mouse and a good ol' microsoft sidewinder game pad, best controller I have found yet. The only problem is that my left strafe is available when using the control pad but then I can't use right strafe too since I use the big M button to the lower right of the control pad. Anyway my budget rig is listed below (way over budget that is)

Chris
P3V4X Motherboard
Enlight 7237 w/2CoolPC+,ICS chip HS/F
P3 650 cB0@866 with a Golden Orb
128MB PC133 CAS2 Apacer/infineon ram@2-2-2-5
10.2GB Matrox 7200 rpm drive
Acer 50x cd drive
Aureal Vortex SQ2500 sound card
Altec Lansing ADA880R speakers
Visiontek SDR Geforce@130/180
3COM ISA NIC for ADSL
D-Link 10/100 NIC for home LAN

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
What I use for UT

Well I use a mouse for precision directional movement as well as jumping and firing weapons. I strafe and move back and forward with my keyboard. My setup is W for forward S for backward and A and D for strafing. I find with my arms naturally spaced like this it is easier for me to play an extended time in UT. My mouse is the Intellimouse Explorer Pro which I find optimal for playing as it has the highest processing power of any mouse I've found. It handles 18 Mips and keeps up with me very well. I have a lot of RAM. 320MB but I do need to replace my mobo and processor as they are dated. I'm only running AGP2X on an ASUS P2BF mobo using a P3450 which is good but with AGP2X it isn't capable of unleashing the true power of my Hercules Guillemot GeForce 2 GTS card. I have never used a gamepad or joystick for any FPS game. Just can't see the point. The mouse is way more accurate. Hope my answer is what you were looking for. On a side note I should be receiving a new Dell 4100 at work in the next few days. I ordered our (the company I work for) first 1Ghz system to test out. I'll be putting it at my own desk and I'll be curious to see how it performs.

Take care and try to avoid getting gibbed!

AmigaOne

ChrisQuickTA

Jul 1, 2000
New BRunswick, NJ, USA
Visit site
I basically use the mouse and the gamepad as a combo. Left/right mouse for first and secondary fire, middle mouse click is jump and wheel moves through weapons. The sidewinder in my left hand does all of the movement and strafing.

PH33R

Aug 1, 2000
come.to
No offence "...Slow" did you honestly want to know or are you just trying to show off your computer specs?????

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
I'm not a newbie... but I'll respond anyway.

Logitech scroll mouse, Cheap $12 Fellowes keyboard... they're all the same anyway.

I would never use a gamepad for a fps. I've used them on consoles and hated it. I've considered getting a PantherXL (joystick/trackball combo for anyone that doesn't know). It's famous for beeing the controller of choice by many 1337 UT players. But from what I've read about them there are better joysticks out there. Has anyone tried a really good joystick, in combination with a seperate, High end trackball?

Personally I don't really like a joystick on FPS. I tried one in Duke3D and hated it... haven't used one since, except for racing/flight games.

ChrisQuickTA

Jul 1, 2000
New BRunswick, NJ, USA
Visit site
oops

DOH! I meant that I am a newbie to the forum, no a poll for newbies, sorry for the wording I am slow :}

As far as really wanting to know, yes I do b/c I like being able to strafe left to right quickly while using the control pad which I cant do right now. As far as my computer, it's not so great, it cost me 900 bucks to put together, already had a gateway 19 inch monitor and a printer so 900 for everything else isnt too top of the line.
I just have it listed like that b/c I post on troubleshooting and tech boards about my system and these are must know things. Didnt mean to come off like that

Chris

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
I'm pretty sure most of us use the mouse keyboard combo. You cant look around fast enough with a game controller alone. A game controller/mouse combo should work, but I haven't heard of too many people doing that. Overtoad, Voyd, and Jenny use the Panther, to name a few l337 panther users. Voyd is pretty much regarded as the best 1on1 player on this forum and Overtoad is pretty much regarded as the best 1on1 player of all time (not that he's never been beaten, but when he does lose it is huge news). I may get the Panther when the Panther Pro comes out. But then again, I may not as I just spent $100 on a Boomslang gaming mouse.

Another problem with using the game controller (even with the mouse combo) is that if you start playing team games you will want to communicate more. I have many keys on my keyboard bound to messages like "Incoming" or "Shieldbelt up", etc etc. There are only so many buttons on the game controller.

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Boomslang vs. Intellimouse Explorer

I'd be really curious to hear your opinion on your new Boomslang. I was considering this before buying what I did. I only bought the MS mouse as its internal processor was much more powerful. So far it's done well but I'd like to hear how your Boomslang fares.

Thanks!!

darklite

Apr 3, 2000
like most people, I go with the [intelli]mouse/kb combo.
z,x,c,lalt for movement
lctrl for crouch (which I never use)
lshift for walking ("")
space for jumping (which I use too much ;))
a,s,d,f,side mouse buttons for various voice commands

I used to use asdf for weapons, but seeing how I mostly play instagib.. they're more or less useless. so when my first clan scrim came around I went ahead and bound those weapons keys to voice commands..

if you're comfortable with your current controller setup and it does everything you wanna do, don't worry about it. I couldn't imagine using a joystick or a trackball for a FPS, but if someone that uses that is comfortable with it, more power to him/her.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
I've noticed a lot of people don't use the arrow keys for movement. I can see why (a lot of wasted space around them that could be used) but at the same time I've been using them soo long, I don't think I'll change.

For me Arrow keys movement/strafe
ctrl=jump
0/ins on num-pad for crouch
I recently had to get a replacement HD for one that Died, so I haven't done many keybinds... I got Game Commander for UT, but I still haven't got my cheap @ss out to Wal-Mart to buy a cheap mic yet. That should really make the voice commands more natural.

Oh yeah, that reminds me... I need to bind a key to:
"fire|say shock|onrelease alt-fire|onrelease say combo"
Yesss.

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Arrow keys

Clayeth054,

I used to play all my FPS games with the arrow keys. But since I finally managed to get a proper computer desk I've noticed it's actually much more comfortable for me to play with my left hand on the left of the keyboard. I can play much longer without getting as sore. Ever tried it?

darklite

Apr 3, 2000
Yeah.. before HalfLife came around I was a pure keyboardist, but because of the complexity of HL I learned how to use a mouse and keyboard together. after learning how to use a mouse, my skills increased tenfold. boy I really feel sorry for people that still use just a keyboard :(

I don't really know why I went with the z,x,c,lalt for movement. I'm guessing it was because that was the default control layout for HL, but its been a while since I've played that so *shrug*. if it wasn't the default layout, I do have a feeling I'd be using arrow keys for movement right along with you, though since I was a keyboardist and used the left and right arrows for turning instead of strafing.. it would've kind of felt weird..

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Keys to mouse

Well here's how i was taught. The hard way.

Think back to 1993 or so. DOOM! I used to play the heck out of it but wonder how in the heck my friends were doing this little dance in a tight quick circle all around me whilst I became this little bloody puddle. Well they weren't using just the keyboard. :)

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Oh yes... Doom. Those were the days :)

That was the only game that I played solely with the keyboard... and did quite well. Since the controls weren't very complex I used arrow keys for movement/turning; < > for strafing, shift for running, alt for opening, and ctrl for firing. I can't imagine using that configuration now... but it worked then.

ChrisQuickTA

Jul 1, 2000
New BRunswick, NJ, USA
Visit site
hehe, this has become fairly interesting. I like the looks of that boomslang mouse or whatever, need an extra button. I am so used to playing with a controller and not the keyboard that I dont think I can go back. I usually look around with the mouse anyway and use it to turn myself 180 degress in case someone runs by me :). Any panther owners out there who can attest to it being worth so much? I used to play doom with a trackball and keyboard, but I was like 13 then so I probably sucked anyway

Chris

Aug 7, 2000
Very expensive scroll mouse and a cheap keyboard......I don't like gamepads.........I like keyboards..... because..... well......cause they've got a lot of keys of course.......

-Revenant

WiLD2

W4NG
I go the simple way.

Use a $12 Belkin Scroll mouse and keyboard.
Look, Mouse Movement
Forward, up arrow
Back, down arrow
straffe left/right, left/right arrows
Fire, MouseButton Left
Alt-fire, MouseButton right
select weapon previous, WheelMouse Up
select weapon next, WheelMouse Down
Jump, Right Ctrl
Crouch, NumPad 0/Ins
Taunt, NumPad 1
Attack All, NumPad 2
Defend All, NumPad 3
Freelance All, NumPad 4
Cover Me All, NumPad 5
Hold Position All, NumPad 6

That way all the basic controlls are all there, close together for you to use. It gets even more confusing for me when I go to play FEBA or Tactical Ops. I still can't remeber all the buttons I've assigned for that.