Will UT owners be given the new engine enhancements?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Katto

Sep 9, 2000
Visit site
Are these wonderful new enhancements going to be released as UT patches, or are they only coming out in Unreal 2 and licensed games that choose to use them?

Also, how compatible will this new technology be with current mods? If I were to start a mod right now, would I be able to port it over, easily or otherwise?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Probably not. I think Epic will want to wrap up their involvement with UT very soon. They've already done way more than most would do.

As far as compatability...I wouldn't bet on it.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Gosh, I don't think that's possible to do. And if they do make an enhancement patch for UT...it'll be huge! But I doubt it, you're talking about some serious code differences between UT and Unreal 2.

Y

Yellow5

No, this stuff will NOT show up in UT.

All of the new stuff can be used by games using the engine or in future Epic titles.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Quoted from http://www.3dnews.net:

Update:I shot Mark Rein a mail and asked him if the new technology would be used for additions to the existing Unreal Tournament game, or if this was being developed specifically for licensees. Here was his answer:

These are features both for Unreal Engine licensees and for our future titles including Unreal2 (being developed by Legend Entertainment for us) and Epic's own next game (unannounced). Skeletal animation has been added to UT to facilitate mod makers and it is used extensively in the PlayStation2 version of UT but we have no plans to replace the PC content with skeletally animated characters - that would severely break network compatibility which is something we try very hard not to do.

Thanks again to Mark for getting back to us so quickly. It shows that he is extremely dedicated, seeing that it's almost 1 AM as of this update.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Wait a minute, is this engine they're talking about an updated UT engine, or the Unreal2 engine. I thought they were going to use a totally new engine for Unreal2.

Katto

Sep 9, 2000
Visit site
It's still "the Unreal engine"

It's not a new engine, it's just an upgraded version of the same engine they've used since Unreal.

alien8

Run, you magnificent bastard.
Katto is right. We received an email from Mark Rein, in which he said that it is most definitely not not the "Unreal 2" engine. He likened it to the Chevy Corvette. It's been called the 'Vette since 1953(?), but it most definitely is not the same car now as it was then.

Kaz

Godlike Drunken Spammer
Jun 21, 2000
California
No matter...I wouldn't have been anle to put those graphics in to my UT anyways...my cpu chokes enough as it is :(

Kaz :D

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Like Alien8 and Kato said. This "New" Engine is based on the core of the Unreal engine, so therefore the same engine in that regards. But definitely different in comparison.

Like Alien8 stated, it's not the same as Unreal or UT. Yet, again, it's based on the core of the Unreal Engine.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Skeletal animation has been added to UT to facilitate mod makers and it is used extensively in the PlayStation2 version of UT but we have no plans to replace the PC content with skeletally animated characters - that would severely break network compatibility which is something we try very hard not to do.

I still wonder why exactly do Epic try so very hard not to break network compatibility. Maybe they don't fire Redeemers on 402 servers.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
So, if they're going to still be extending the Unreal code, that's likely to mean that it's still going to be based on Glide, no? Which, is a bit stupid if you ask me as they'd be better off doing it in ogl, and pander to the whole lot of us who have our fantastic gforce cards, unless they're actually doing this, of course.

Morph1ne.MX

Privately Owned Geek
Apr 23, 2000
Mexico City, MEXICO
the render part of the engine does not make the whole engine. epic has stated that they are focusing now in Direct3D. Also some of the tricks you saw in the demo require Hardware T&L.

As someone in the channel said, the upcoming unreal engine titles will play on voodoo's as Unreal and UT played on GeForces.

=)