OMG new Unreal Engine screenshots and movie! (warning pics inside)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ultron

Robot XMP Beta Tester
Mar 6, 2000
Secret Hideout
clans.utworld.net
Oh man, you won't believe this. But Daily Radar has the scoop on the details of the new changes in the Unreal engine.

Here's a movie to watch. Downloads are slow, but worth it.

ftp://ftp.dailyradar.com/movies/pc/unrealtechdemo.mpg

Also some screenshots.

http://www.dailyradar.com/features/game_feature_page_1444_1.html

detail1.jpg

detail2.jpg

face2.jpg

skel1.jpg

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Yea, I was just about to post the same thread to make sure that *everybody* sees these awesome screenies. (Well, I would have posted links to the images, not the image itself. Wink wink ;))

All I can say is ...

WOW
eek2.gif

I find especially the outdoor scenes and the model most impressive. I hope they use motion capture animation for those models; then these should be the most realistic creatures ever seen in a computer game.

Voodooextreme have the full article, not just the screenshots. It's worth reading:
http://www.voodooextreme.com/article.taf?articleID=121

pepslet

Feb 7, 2000
Visit site
I looked at the screenshots and the movie an hour ago, and I am still drooling right now ;)

Now to get myself a Geforce2 Ultra....

BTW, those kungfu moves you see in the movie are standard 3DSMax moves I believe, but still, the ability to use motion capture rocks :)

Check the movie about Ultima Online 2 to see real motion stuff in game (in the movie, you can see the motion capture and the end result in game)

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Yah, read that on PU news. Great stuff. But let's also remember that Digital Extreme enhanced the Unreal Engine for Dark Sector. The polygon counts are huge! UT models sport around 700 polys. But Dark Sector and Unreal 2 will provide over 10,000 polygons per character.

Now, in the Dark Sector FAQ, Digital Extreme stated that the new Unreal Engine games that use the enhanced version will not have any software mode available. Ironically, D3D and OpenGl will be the only options for these two new games. Unreal 2 may utilize 3DFX though...but not entirely sure.

The impact this will have to gamers is the fact that current "older" cards (TNT2, Ultra...blah..blah...) will not be able to push these graphics. Digital Extreme did admit that good Graphic cards will be needed to run enhanced Unreal engine games. So, save up your money and ensure your future G card will have TL, Bump Mapping and a connection to a nuclear power plant:).

Ultron

Robot XMP Beta Tester
Mar 6, 2000
Secret Hideout
clans.utworld.net
Originally posted by Prophetus][PuF][
Well according to unconfirmed reports, this will run on D3D and OpenGl. Glide wasn't mentioned. Since Epic and nVidia created that deal with each other, the reports maybe true.

Well, you'll want a GeForce to see it in all it's glory. You might be able to play it just fine with a V5 or a card without T&L support you'll probably won't get the higher end framerates unless you have a very powerful CPU.

Cranium

Jul 18, 2000
I wouldn't worry about what kind of hardware you'll need to run it now, the games utilizing the "new" Unreal engine won't be out for at least a year or two :)

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
I'm not well versed in Glide properties, but doesn't 3DFX cards work in D3D too? Yes, the game won't be out for awhile, so that gives 3DFX time to create or enhance D3D/OpenGl options on their cards. Just wondering...

Sykus

Sep 9, 2000
i believe i read somewhere that the next Unreal from Epic will either not support Glide at all, or instead of it being optimized for Glide, it will be optimized for D3D. can't remember where i saw that though

Ruffrider

Feb 2, 2000
Citrus Springs, FL
Holy Crap

Those outdoor scenes really made me drool. I think im gonna have to put the old PII300 and V3 3000 to rest right before it comes out. When that happens Ill be sporting a 1.4ghz w/ 4 gigs of RAM ;p and a V7 SDVC (Super Duper Video Card) :).

Ultron

Robot XMP Beta Tester
Mar 6, 2000
Secret Hideout
clans.utworld.net
Originally posted by Sykus
i believe i read somewhere that the next Unreal from Epic will either not support Glide at all, or instead of it being optimized for Glide, it will be optimized for D3D. can't remember where i saw that though

That's true. But I imagine that they still come up with a Glide renderer. But if I'm wrong, oh well. I wouldn't be suprised if their partnership with Nvidia makes sure they don't develope for Glide anyways. :)

Squeaky

Sep 4, 2000
Visit site
I know my mouth was open the entire time I was watching that. =)
I'm just hoping that Unreal2 will be more like UT than Unreal in the teamplay aspect, but I'm thinking it won't although I read that they are implementing these features into UT with patches.

Kaz

Godlike Drunken Spammer
Jun 21, 2000
California
haha...my 233 mhz comp barely runs UT right now...good thing I'm getting the 800 mhz t-bird with Geforce 2 ultra...otherwise I'd be f00ked ;)

Kaz :D