430 TL - Please take a second and vote

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
With the heated discussion on GTF and PuF about the new 430 TL, I created a little web poll to get an impression how the community overall feels about it. Please take a second and quickly tell us your opinion:

VOTE HERE

The script is supposed to let you vote only once. I'd be grateful if you'd not hack around this, even if you think the new TL suxors. ;)

Pretty much every argument pro and against the new TL has been discussed on the other threads, but if you wanna make additional comments, feel free to do it here.

View current results HERE.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Let me clarify something about this new TL feature. We all discussed how it slowed down the Teletrain, but what it actually does is slow down the return time back to the caster. This slow down is minimal, but can be a hinder if you cast your trans...see an enemy and decide to retrieve it normally. That pause can be dangerous. How? Well that pause can allow someone to target your misguided trans and create a telefrag.

So, whether or not you like or dislike the teletrain...everyone will be affected by using the trans normally. I know alot of you played on servers with the 430, but you really don't understand the full implementation of this feature until you use the 430 patch (client) on a 430 server.

Of course, this is for people who use the trans without the binds. I personally can live with it, but still don't like it.

Mrukk

Inhuman
May 10, 2000
Baltimore, MD
It's true - most of us can only vote on whether we _think_ the idea is good or not. We really cannot say for sure until we try the patch. I think it sounds fine... but if I was to try the patch and find that some basic double trans's didn't work or other little annoyances I might change my mind!! Still, some people assure us that they will work :)

Good idea about the poll anyway C!

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
As I wrote on the discussion thread: Please don't vote without having played on a 430 server for a while, to judge if it affects your playing style in any way. And don't mix up the effects of lag with the effects of Epic's modification!

As for what Proph wrote: How often does it happen, that you abort a translocation and try to call the disk back within a 1/4 second? And how big is the chance that just within this 1/4 second, somebody damages your disk. Hmmm ...

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
Cleaner it's a big difference. Remember, ping effects the return. So, that 1/4 of second extends itself to 1/2 or even one full second. Where as before, the return time was quicker. Playing last night at a ping of 90 (average) I had serious problems returning my trans. Not so much for the delay, but more so because of long tosses detected by enemy players. Trying to recall the trans led to 3 out of 5 frags...on me. Yes, skill on their part to detect and aim, but this wouldn't have normally been a problem without the modification. No it wasn't lag that caused the delay. My cast rate was on the money. Return was slowed to the point that I had to click twice for it to return.

The trans delay was similar to playing on servers with a 250-300 ping...ouch.

Of course, earlier I thought it delayed the cast rate, but now I know it delays the return time. This affects the alt trans considerably.

{L}OutZ{JEDI}

SSJ Vegeta - like
Jun 4, 2000
jediclan.ipfox.com
So thats why!

I was playing on a v430 server the other day and other times, and noticed a problem with my x-loc, especially with double trans. Personally I think you should translocate at your own rate, not a set rate. I don't like it one bit, it takes forever to get your disk back too. Epic why can't you fix OpenGL or D3D engines, instead of messing with the TL :p It seems you have enough time if your messing with the TL.

NextoneX

Jan 4, 2000
members.xoom.com
huh?

Why is epic so cruel. This post is the first I've heard about this. Can someone post a link to a page or thread about this change?

Thanks you

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
I apologize for setting the wrong tone here. Cleaner wanted us to vote rather than discuss the pros and cons. I initiated this by stating my opinion. Please vote. Sorry Cleaner.

UT Lobo

Aug 31, 2000
Sac, CA
Visit site
thx fer the past thread reference hal,

real interesting to read, as i realized i have teletrained like a fiend and not really noticed, just used the game however i could. (i don't keybind, just got real quick, but now i want to play with a keybind!!)

i agree that it is a tool, but one thing that i think all superior players notice is patterns. i cant help but to keep track of who gets a flag on ctf and what route they take, and if they take it again. also, which players xloc and which players shock combo. just one of those extra things that helps w/strategy. (am i a superior player, i dont know? but i usually give more than i get, hal, if you remember that game on lavagiant last weekend you know, assuming that was you and not another hal)

since i notice these patterns i do everything i can not to be predictable (mix up cap-routes....teletrain...snipe for a few kills and then go blast some rockets or look for a redeemer) i dont care. for me ut is a great game and the only things that matter are kill counts, getting flags, and having fun. since i work at not having a bunch of predictability, i work well in games with xloc or without. Course games with xloc i figure its my responsibility to use it as best as i can for the win. If that is hampered, well, hump it out. 'adapt to overcome' as the modern bullet sponges say.

i admit some mods may push the limit, but if i cant teletrain or telefrag anymore, ill find more inventive ways to harvest the gibs (so to speak). while it may not be cool to some, as long as the game is fun i will keep playing.