Intel Celeron 600Mhz=???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
I don't exactly know, but the P3 will definately be faster. Personally I really like the Celerons... you save a lot of money that way, and they generally overclock more than the P3's. I usually have my Celeron 566 running at 850. I can push it higher, but 850 is good enough for me, and I don't want to expose it to any more heat than I have too. If I had the money though, I would definately buy a P3.

I don't know if you're thinking of buying a new processor, of if you're just wanting to know... but hopefully someone can give you a better answer.

FrigginAnT

Cow Spot Pimp
Mar 23, 2000
Philly, PA
www.frigginant.homestead.com
PIII

OK HERE IS THE EXAMPLE.....

PIII 500 Vs 600 celeron

when using MS excel or word.....very little difference

when using any type of games, the PIII 500 WILL seem a bit faster. as for overclocking....everytime i say that around one of my techs at work..they cringe

JuiceEggsMcKenna

MC68060/50
Aug 31, 2000
Australia
clivebarker.net
Pretty bad actually

AFAIK the current gen of Celerons and PIIIs actually come off the same production line - ie, they are the same chip. The difference is that the Celery has had half its onboard L2 cache disabled (exactly how this makes it cheaper is Intel's problem to figure out). For gamers, though, this is a big problem. Because of the high disparity between the internal speed of the CPU and the external speed of the system bus, modern systems depend on a fat cache to maintain high performance. In most business type environments the difference does not seem obvious (we use Celerons at work and they are fine) but UT really stresses your CPU, or rather, your system's ability to feed data to the CPU.

A well built system would probably play about 30% slower with a Celery rather than PIII under most circumstances. Celeron Front Side Bus is locked at 66 MHz too, BTW, compared to the 133 MHz Pentium III, I think. They overclock pretty well though, which helps.

If you need a good "budget" CPU, maybe consider the AMD Duron. It's better than a Celeron in price and performance, but motherboards are a bit scarce for them.