Scaling, new maps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

prototype

Peon
Jan 18, 2000
Visit site
I'm making my first UT map of a castle for DM (yeah, I know, it's been done to death, but hey, I'm a beginner right?). I've studied tons of maps from the net and the UT maps trying to get a feel for scale. The map consists of a lot of rooms, corridors and steps connecting various levels together. The problem is that I'm not really sure if my scale is correct. My corridors are about 10 feet wide with doorways 8. The rooms are minmum 16 feet high. It does seem cramped but maybe this is the way it should be in a castle. Any tips on what kind of sizes to use? Would someone be willing to let them email them the map to look at? There's no textures and 1 start point but just want to get a feel for the size. Thanks.

Jenkins

America's Greatest Kitten Mitten
Apr 24, 2000
Irving, Tx, USA
jljenkins.cjb.net
Sounds good to me. You can e-mail me the map if you like and I'll check it out: Elsik98@aol.com

bullet2.gif

Jenkins

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
It's gonna feel cramped because you're moving in the game very fast. Try running around a castle as fast as you can and realize how small the place actually is.

Me, generally my hallways are large and obnoxious unless I've gotta tone it down due to requests. Something to the effect of 256 units wide by 256 units tall (plus another 128 for the arch I toss in) is what I commonly use. What can I say? I'm claustrophobic in games for some reason. But I don't mind living in a walk-in closet... odd eh?

GCENAdmin

Jan 15, 2000
Visit site
Wow.. I guess that's why I make my maps so huge.. I can't stand being closed in..
my buildings are usually 640 units in height
my 1st level square is like 30,000 + 30,000 + 30,000...

bullet2.gif

Unreal, Nothing Like it..

doktor_ynohtna

Jan 15, 2000
Brighton, England
www.ynohtna.org
Whilst building your level in the editor try adding some temporary Nali pawns (class browser, Pawn->Scripted Pawn->Nali) and then in the 3d preview window look around at the approximate eye-height of the Nali.

Because of the restricted field of view projected onto a flat monitor and the speed of travel within the game, making levels `to scale' will always make them feel extremely cramped. Also note that good gameplay requires that the player has room to dodge shots - for this reason corridors should never be any narrower than 128 units (which will feel extremely tight).

I generally stick to an average ledge width of 192 (128 + 64), and a doorway height of about the same, obviously going wider and taller for more imposing architecture.

Build lots of small test rooms and areas to get a feel for the in-game size. That way you don't have to rebuild an entire level if the scaling or gameplay feels off.

Regards,
ynohtnA.