PDA

View Full Version : question about translocator

Lord_Dragon[FB]
31st Aug 2000, 02:06 AM
okay, if someone destroys your translocator, and you press primary fire, you die. WHY?!
i understand why you would die if you pressed secondary fire...you would be trying to teleport, but you'd teleport to nothing...etc etc, you understand.
but why with the primary fire? your only trying to recover it...

oh, for the hell of it, good luck to all those allstars playing sunday. i wanna see the demos.

HuFlungDung
31st Aug 2000, 02:43 AM
Well, learn something every day. I never knew that recalling the disk would kill you! Strange. It wasn't just a coincidence by any chance?

Queen LaQuiffa|ZB|
31st Aug 2000, 02:49 AM
You can retrieve your blasted beacon by walking over it. It will cancel and you can use you xloc again. I'm a telefag and proud of it!

Tetris L
31st Aug 2000, 05:31 AM
I find it okay. Leaving your disk somewhere unattended deserved to included a proper risk of being killed.

hal
31st Aug 2000, 06:24 AM
Yeah, it seems pretty fair to me. There should be a little risk involved for leaving your beacon lying around. I thought that was documented in the UT manual.

Stosh
31st Aug 2000, 06:54 AM
If I see an enemy beacon laying around...it's toast :)

Prophetus
31st Aug 2000, 07:41 AM
It's definitely fair. Otherwise people will have unchallenged access to tactical and strategic spots on a map. Without that fear of you being telefragged for laying the trans somewhere...people would be placing the trans everywhere. Epic did right by allowing the trans to be damaged and for causing a telefrag if you try and recall a damaged trans. Besides, it's fun destroying a trans and three minutes into the game you see "You fragged AnIdiot" because he/she tried to recall the trans:).

-BHS-Snowdog
31st Aug 2000, 09:34 AM
I disagree. I like the idea of the disc being, uhm, 'disruptable', as a way to render it useless if left lying around. This is why smart players tend to not leave it lying around alot. But to telefrag you when you try to recall it just seems wrong to me, in virtually every sense. If a player chooses to recall a disc he left, say in the enemy flag room, he is giving up the advantage he might have gained by leaving it there, and therefore should not be penalized by a telefrag if the disc has become disrupted. Lets face it, the reason they made the thing disruptable is to balance the advantage it provides by adding the risk of being telefragged if somebody finds the thing when you leave it laying around. If I chose to give up that advantage (i.e. recalling the disc) I shouldn't be penalized if somebody found the thing. Most of the times that this happens to me, it's just because I'm careless and unintentionally left it laying around somewhere. When I realize the disc is gone, I try to recall it and ZAP. :(

Lord_Dragon[FB]
31st Aug 2000, 09:38 AM
well, i have no problem with telefragging someone...but when someone is recalling the translocator it doesn't make sense to me. if you are on the other side of the map and you try to recall your translocator, i don't see why you should die.
teleporting to the damaged xloc...it would make sense.
IMO, it seems like someone recalling a xloc is basically "cancelling" the shot; i don't get why they should die for it. There are instances when i might pull out the xloc instead of the weapon i intended during a fight. if i fire my translocator disk on accident, and later die for trying to recover it when i notice i do not have it, it seems odd.
oh well, just rambling...UT has plenty of setting i question...just more stuff to get used to and learn to avoid.

snowdog's comment above, which got posted while i was typing this, explains my point too.

hobart_paving
31st Aug 2000, 02:52 PM
well, as a trans-monkey(as soul-crusher so brilliantly labeled me), i can tell you that if i could recall my damaged translocater without dying, the shock rifle would be a lot less usefull for stopping trans-monkies. if i'm rushing a base translocating like a madman, destroying my translocater is your best bet to kill me. if, on the other hand, i could toss my translocater out and just withdraw it if you pull out a combo on it, it gives me a HUGE advantage. then, i could toss it out randomly and if it gets destroyed, no big deal. if not, i just hit secondary fire and i'm there. we'd have a LOT more people complaining if that were the case.

as for leaving your translocater lying around, well, that's the risk you're going to have to take. the possibility that you can get to the enemy flagroom in a single instant has to be weighed against the possibility that someone caught on and destroyed your translocater. why should you be able to "test the waters" and withdraw your translocater at no penalty?

and if you accidentally leave your translocater somewhere and get telefragged as a result, well that's just bad luck. sometimes i'm translocating like an idiot and i switch to the redeemer and blow myself up. that's bad luck, too. don't think it's enough of a reason to change the game, though. :D

Sam_The_Man
31st Aug 2000, 05:32 PM
Ok, here's a scientific explanation:

Recalling your translocator sends powerful transportation waves through hyperspace to the place where your beacon was. These waves act like an electrical circuit, i.e. a loop. If the translocator is there, the loop goes from your xloc to the disc and back, completing the circuit and recalling the disc. If it is disrupted, there is no disc so no circuit to it. Instead the circuit connects with you rather than the xloc and translocates you inside where the disc should be. Since you are ending up inside the translocator, you die.

If you're currently asking 'Why don't I telefrag the translocator?', well translocators are made from much stronger materials than people/cows and so cannot be telefragged. This is also why you can be shot by a rocket but your xloc will still be intact in your hand.

Ok? :)

DividedSky
31st Aug 2000, 05:33 PM
This, then, begs the following question: How much damage do you have to give a translocator to "break" it? I know it's more than just one rocket, it normally takes me several rockets.

Prophetus
31st Aug 2000, 05:40 PM
Several rockets? One shock combo or a hit from the impact hammer will disable it. Funny, I can shoot the hell out of it with a sniper rifle, but can't damage it...maybe my aim really sucks:).

SU3000
31st Aug 2000, 06:17 PM
I remember something about needing explosive (splash) damage to kill an xloc disk. I Could be wrong though.

hal
31st Aug 2000, 06:48 PM
Hey...you don't want a telefrag...don't lay it out there! Be responsible for your beacon!;)

Watchdog
1st Sep 2000, 12:37 AM
two sniper shots takes out the beacon--did it today in our match.

hal
1st Sep 2000, 12:53 AM
This is true.

mileena
1st Sep 2000, 01:00 AM
i always do that! grrrrr.

when i trying to translo-skip somewhere.. and i see baddies, so i stop to fight and forget that i was on the "throw" part of my skipping.

then three minutes later, after i've worked hard to kill the enemy, i recall and BOOM! :(

but i agree, i deserve it. :D

Boom
1st Sep 2000, 02:04 AM
Did somebody say my name?