UE2 Questions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambo

Jun 27, 2000
Visit site
There are 3 things I would like to do, but I cant find a tutorial on them. First I would like to make an outside map with slopes and hills, but I don't know how to use the Mountain Brush Builder. Second, I would like to put in lots of trees to hide behind, but I don't know how to make Trees or bushes. And 3rd, I know how to make a sky box as long as you are looking out of a indoor map, but I don't know how to make a sky box in a out door map. The only tutorial I have found regarding Ued2 is From Firefly. All other Tutorials I have found are from the first Version of Ued. All the buttons are different and I have never used the first version. Also, I have never made an outdoor map. Do I just subtract a huge cube and build the map inside it, or can I build the map first and then make the skybox around it? I have no Idea. I want to make a Vietnam map, maye even be able to clime up a tree and snipe from there. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Claymore

The Flying Dutchman
Dec 24, 1999
Utreg, Holland
www.xs4all.nl
suits your name :)

1st thing, I don't know how to use the mountain brush either, nor did I ever make a real outdoor map, but you could try some vertex editing with tesselated cubes, dunno really, somebody else plz answer this question, or pass a link to TerraEdit.

2nd thing, lots of trees are lame, since they'll kill your framerate. You'll need some clever kind of way to fix that up.

As for the third question, I think you need a thourough tutorial about skyboxes. I don't know what you've been doing so far, but making a skybox for outdoor areas works the same as making them for indoor areas. A skybox is an area, separated from the rest of the map, in which you create a certain environment. the part where you want that to be seen in your map is where you set the texture properties to "fake backdrop", and in outdoor areas that means setting the entire roof to it.

irongull

May 6, 2000
www.planetunreal.com

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
I have never personally used the original UED one but I can honestly say that there isn't all that much difference with the user interface and you should be able to figure things out for yourself based on the original editors tutorials. Although the little pics on the buttons appear to be a bit different, there is only a slight change in a appearance and it should be pretty obvious which is the corresponding button in UED2.

Rambo

Jun 27, 2000
Visit site
terraedit

Is terraedit in ued2, or is it a seperate application. If it is,is there a link for it so I can download it. I looked at one of the tutorials, and it was using terraedit. I would like to get it if I can. Does anyone have a link?

garrett

dreaming lucidly
Aug 23, 2000
i know

i have made outdoor terrain that looks quite nice(but never finished the map) poly count may be a little high but..you could use adobe photoshop or maybe PSP(i don't use PSP so i dont' know) anyway you can start with a 512X512 picture thing and amke it pure black(darker the color the lower the terrain) then you can use the paintbrush tool in psp or photoshop and use a gray color and paint some gray on there(black is flat so gray will be like mountains) you can figure the rest out with that and play with it. then you select the whole picture and create a new file 256X256 and paste the picture on there and resize it so it fits, then save it as a bitmap, then import into terraedit(not quite sure where to get it at sorry), smooth it out or whatever mess with the properties then export it as a t3d i believe(haven't used it in a while) then import into UED as for the simple mountains, i guess you could just vertex edit??
if you need any help lol or didn't understand that email me :D