PDA

View Full Version : Adding Fences-How do you do it?

Smack Daddy
17th Jan 2000, 09:21 AM
I'm building a new CTF level that uses castles as homebases. I want to put up a fence along the front of them. I tried using sheets, adding a masked texure and making the sheet solid. I tried playing the level, and I could still walk thru the fence. I ended up building a cube and masking one face and made the rest invisible. It works but is this the only way?

------------------
Smack Daddy
Ruler of all that I survey...and that ain't much.

Wanderer
17th Jan 2000, 09:44 AM
It's either that or adding an Invisible Collision Hull behind or in front of the fence. Just make a cube the size of the fence. Then bring the grid down to 1 unit. Then zoom in real close and lower the scale of the brush so that it doesn't touch anything.

Then press the Add Special button on the tool bar and select Invisible Collision Hull in the list and then click Add special.

Rebuild and you're set.

Remember to use the SnapScale tool for all of this.

Smack Daddy
17th Jan 2000, 10:04 AM
Thanks Wanderer, just wanted to make sure that there wasn't an easier method. Seems like truly solid sheets would be useful for all sorts of stuff, like fences, oh well.

Thanks again.

http://www.planetunreal.com/images/bullet2.gif
Smack Daddy
Ruler of all that I survey...and that ain't much.

Wanderer
17th Jan 2000, 04:40 PM
Yeah I'm currently forming a posse to hunt down Tim Sweeney for not making sheet brushes solid /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

doktor_ynohtna
18th Jan 2000, 07:51 AM
Sheets have zero width on one axis and thus cannot affect the collision map - how would the engine deal with a player colliding with an infinitely narrow edge?

Invisible collision hulls work perfectly and make no impact on the rendering time or bsp complexity. Sure, they're a hassle to build but such is life.

ynohtnA.