High quality Textures?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

scorpion

Dec 18, 1999
Visit site
I've read a lot of reviews between Quake 3 and UT. A lot of them say that Quake 3 is better because it uses high quality textures. In UnrealEd is it not possible to use high quality textures? I think the way they are they are 8bit? Can you not use 16bit? If it's just a matter of creating them in that format what's stopping me and everyone else?

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
If you play around with the UnrealTournament.ini file you'll find a D3d section. One of the options is use 32bit textures. You probally won't notice much of a difference though.

The really high detail textures can only be used in Metal and you need an S4 or S2k card for that. It's not that great but it's ok. Maybe I'm just jaded or something but considering that not all of the textures have really high detail equivalents it can look strange when you see the 2 next to each other.