PDA

View Full Version : v3 vs stealth 3

TDCxNatas
21st Aug 2000, 04:27 AM
im in the market for a new cheap video card

right now im looking at the v3 2000 pci or the stealth 3 s540 pci 32meg

im just wondering how many other games beside ut support the stealths texture compression and how about the d3d performance of this card anyone have it?? what kinda frame rates do you get

as for the v3 from what i hear the only downside is it doesnt support 32 bit colors

all help is appreciated

i would really like to hear from you if you have the stealth card

Law
21st Aug 2000, 09:01 AM
My experiences with the Savage 4 chipset (Stealth 3) were never very good. Crashes in the middle of the game and some slowdown. But when I DID get it working, the image quality was amazing. Unfortunately, I had to replace it after yet another string of crashes.

This lead me to buying a Voodoo 3. Let me tell you, if you play UT more than any other game, get one of these for $80 and it will hold you over for something better. It works well with every game I've played it with, and the only downside is the lack of 32 bit color. Avoid the Stealth 3, get the Voodoo.

Good luck.

TDCxNatas
21st Aug 2000, 02:40 PM
thanks i was a little worryed about a 32 meg card for 65 bucks

anyone else got any input how about a difrent card under 100 bucks and it has to be pci

Ultron
22nd Aug 2000, 01:26 AM
Whatever you do don't get the PCI S4's from Creative. They were God awful. I tried one, it didn't work on several computers. Returned it for another one and it had the same results. Depressing. Returned it too.

Later got an AGP one, a Diamond Multimedia S540 and I had a lot of trouble with it unless I used BiPolar's drivers in stable mode. Then it ran reliably. It was faster than a V3 in lower resolutions. But at higher res the fill rate of the V3 made it run faster than the S4.

I used to have a ton of benches that showed how the two cards compared. With enough CPU power, and BiPolar's drivers, the S4 card is a good buy. But don't count on a lot of things to go right with that card. Just get a V3 and enjoy the compatability with every 3D game out there.

Freddy
22nd Aug 2000, 06:52 PM
Get the Voodoo3 so that you can play UT using Gide. UT was made for Glide.

TDCxNatas
22nd Aug 2000, 09:43 PM
thx guys guess im going with the v3 i read a review on the stealth 3 and it said it was faster then a v3 with better image quality but from looking at other posts seems that its just a pos