I saw a neat form of CTF 'cheating' (is it?) today....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Aug 7, 2000
When I was playing CTF today........the enemy team had a serious advantage.........they had a friend in spec mode.......

He acted like a sort of 'Command centre' during the game.......giving orders.........telling where I was when I ran off with the flag :( ......telling attackers are comming......that kind of stuff.........

It worked really efficient (and I think even more when the spec has RW !!!).........because with RW only people logged on onto the RWserver can hear you.........Your own team, for people who still don't get it.......... ;)

Is this a legal 'weapon'.........should PuF have a 'command' spec during games.......?

It worked quite well........qhen someone stole their flag.......the whole enemy team was on his ass......
But it also ruined the game........ :(

-Revenant

Mandrosk

May 5, 2000
Seattle WA USA
Visit site
That's completely unethical. It removes any kind of stealth or misdirection from the game. It gives respawning defenders instant knowledge of how to intercept a flag carrier. In short, that's utter BS.

It's the equivalent of having fog of war turned off in a real-time strategy game.

Arkive

May 10, 2000
members.home.com
I agree with Mandrosk...it's totally unacceptable, especially in a clan match. Now, if both teams agree to it, then I guess that's ok, but the kind of tactical advantage an industructable, and potentially undetectable, recon teammate would give that team a huge advantage.

Jeff

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
From what I've heard, that is not allowed on the major ladders like teamplay or whatever. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in official clan matches it is against the rules. I consider it to be unethical as well. I usually just play along when somebody does something I don't like it the public servers, but I might have whined about that a bit.

Aug 7, 2000
I've seen the advantages when playing against them (big advantages)......you just can't get away with the flag anymore......

-Revenant

Bozo=MD=

Official BuF-clown
Aug 7, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
No way man! If they use specs as spies there's no way to use team work or stealth to beat 'em. You'd have no place to hide, nowhere to run. So I'll vote against an eye-in-the-sky any day of the week. I mean, where's the fun in that!?

Aug 7, 2000
You want to create another section called " Spec Spies" or something.......?

Poor Selerox still has 3 unfinished sections.........

P.S. Of course,as you could read in my first post,I'm against this spec spying..........

-Revenant

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Spec'ing a match is a crock of sh!t if the spec is not an admin (even then?) or completely neutral.

If they're admin'ing and they type, everyone would see it and know the scene. It's the use of RW that'd make this a crock. He'd give directions, and let offence know the defensive positions/hiding spots. Hell, that really sux. Completely unethical. No question.

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
We have a new definaition curtosy of the Rock.

Hermaphradite: (OR Hermy for short)

A person with 2 sets of working genitalia.

The person is spec mode was/is a Hermy!!

wiggum_pi

Dec 28, 1999
Visit site
Definately unfair if not agreed upon beforehand. What I would like to see, though, are CTF ladders that give each team a spec, to act as guides/coaches/coordinators. I wonder what it would add to the game... (probably just lag).

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
TO THE FARM!

In TFC, spec spies are impossible because the spectators can only talk to themselves. This should be included in the next UT patch imo.

On the other hand, TF2 is apparently going to have a class which will co-ordinate the team by looking through cameras the engineers build and stuff. So it looks like a restricted form of spec spying will actually be legal. If TF2 ever actually comes out.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
hmm

Well, having a commander like that is fine, as long as he/she is playing as an active player in the game. Having a spec like that is quite bad, although I wouldn't call it cheating horribly. I'd rather have a team with a spec commander on the server I'm on than a skin-cheat or something.

Still though, it's really unethical and gives an unfair advantage.

I think they'll be off to the farm then. I guess they should be put in the 'game lamers' section, as making a whole new section for spec spies is a bit too much just for a couple of 'Hermy Spec cheats' IMO.

:)

{950}Slayer|PuF

Master of the Paddle
Jul 23, 2000
Madison Wisconsin
Visit site
Just so you know!!!

In most ladders...OGL being one of them!! Specs are only allowed if both teams agree on them!! When you accept or make a challenge you have to inform the team you are gonna play what your choice on specs will be!!

We played a clan a ways back and they had guys coming in and out all of the time on their server when specs were not agreed on!!! One person had no tags and 2 other ones did!! When I informed the Captain of the other team of the specs!! He told me a was full of $hit!! I took screen shots of my console showing that there was a spec that showed up and my Clan Leader took a screen shot of UT watcher.

We protested to Viper Dan about it and OGL just did absolutely nothing about it!! So lets just say that we are not to happy about that!!

So..the moral of this story is that we do not play with specs and we will not play on a server that has specs enabled. There is just too much chance of that eye in the sky crap!!

[K]FlyingMonkey

Aug 23, 2000
Visit site
Err... I hate when teams want a spec. Why? Why does someone need to watch the match like that?
My clan's got a rule: if you spec a match, get the hell of BattleCom. :D And NO talking in the game!

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
I didn't know you could do TeamSay if your spectating. If your a spectator, I didn't think you were attached to either side. Or would the spec issue a Say command? Could somebody clarify this? Also, how can you tell if there is a spectator in the game?