PDA

View Full Version : ANYbOdy Know how to use ~ for preferences??

J-PV
17th Aug 2000, 08:24 PM
PPPPlleeezzzze Hellp!!!

I just recently reinstalled UT on my harddrive (my pc crashed and I reformatted). Although the game is running very smoothly now and doesn't crash at all, I would like to tweak the visuals on UT to make it run REALLY smooth...and I've done all I can from the 'preferences' menus, but now I'd like to use the console to further tweak the visuals (like the corona flare effects, etc.). But when I pull down the console, and type in "preferences" (without the quotes), I get a critical error message, and UT shuts itself down. I am running a pIII 550 with a Geforce DDR running in D3D mode. Oh, and I'm running patch 428, too.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!! thanks!

Krypton|BuF
17th Aug 2000, 08:31 PM
If you open the advanced options by typing "preferences", UT automatically goes into "windowed mode". So that might be the reason for your crash. Is it possible to bring UT in windowed mode by clicking on the icon in the right upper corner of the menubar, or does this crash you UT too?

That might give you a hint to where the problem lies.

If nothing works, you can alway open your .ini files in notepad and change the settings manually.

SU3000
18th Aug 2000, 04:44 AM
...when I pull down the console, and type in "preferences" (without the quotes), I get a critical error message, and UT shuts itself down.

It might be a problem with your (virtual?) memory. It used to happen to me when I used win2k. And that was because I hadn't got enough memory (making the swap file bigger helped me iirc.)

--SU

Biohazard
19th Aug 2000, 06:27 PM
Just change the preferences you want by directly editing the UnrealTournament.ini in the UT/system file part of the game. Just scroll down until you find the settings you are interested in, make the changes, save, then exit.
This avoids having to use the ~ key to bring down the advanced prefrences.
Hope This helps ya.

J-PV
21st Aug 2000, 04:51 AM
I went into the proper folder, and no problem!! I can change any variable I need! Very cool! It took me a while to find the right folder that actually had all the variables for brightness and game settings, but now it's really easy to tweak the game!!

thnx! :)