Advanced options can not be changed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

James Screech

Aug 15, 2000
Visit site
I've just installed Unreal on my new PC (700Mhz Athlon 128Mb RAM Voodoo3 3000 graphics, SB 128PCI sound card).

If I try to run the program it crashes, so I've tried starting in safe mode. However whenever I try to change any of the advanced settings they keep reverting back to the default. Also when running the game in safe mode I get no sound.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong?

lb4lb

Jun 17, 2000
Visit site
I don't know why your computer is crashing. Sorry about that. But I know that certain audio settings in the advanced preferences would not be activated until I closed out of UT and then restarted it. One that I can remember was enabeling the CD option. Since your computer crashes, it doesn't properly shut down so maybe this is part of the reason. You can maybe try different UT patches to see if it helps.

Nameless

Aug 15, 2000
Visit site
Now correct me if I'm a complete idiot, but i recall the definition of safe mode is when a program uses alternate drivers (or none at all) for audio, video, etc. I dont know how unreal safe mode works exactly, but i can nearly guarantee that the sound isn't working only because the game is is safge mode. Some things you should try to fix the crashes (and then free yourself from safe mode) are:

-GET THE LATEST PATCH. I mean it. You'll thank me later.

-Close any and all background apps u have running when u start the game. These could be virus scanners, crash protectors, resource meters/monitors, quick-launch icons ( like those systray icons for winamp or realplayer, not ur perrsonal toolbar), etc. These programs use up valuable resources on your machine, plus they may bring about conflicts with the game in any way imaginable.

-Update your stuff. "Which stuff?", you ask? Having an old or outdated audio, video, and even printer and modem driver can create all kinds of havoc. Plus there's other things that get updated; directx, for one, or even windows itself. (WARNING: replacing drivers left and right can be a very dangerous thing. Be sure you know what your doing and make sure to get the correct driver. ALSO, back up the old ones, as they may work better)

-Give Unreal some elbow room. In addition to closing background apps to free up your system, try reducing your windows color depth, audio quality, and even try eliminating your active desktop and screen saver. All of these gobble up precious power.

-My best solution yet: Go to a hardware store, buy a hammer no smaller than at least a 4-pound hand-sledge, and apply swift, powerful impacts to the frame and internal components of your computer until you can use the parts as nifty little paperweights. This always seems to work for me. Oh yeah, and a little drunken swearing seems to help during the bashing.

-Good luck. Holy Sh*t, i wrote like a fu*kin essay for you. DAAAMMMMNNNN. Oh well. Hope it helps.