Any way to stop it crashing so much?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dr Bob

Aug 14, 2000
Visit site
I've had UT for less than 5 days, and already it has crashed on me over 30 times.

What's unusual is that it rarely crashes during the game, mostly when I am using the menus.

The crashes are fairly gentle, at least - a nice little dialogue box telling me there's a GPF, but they are annoying.

I've been putting up with it so far, but now I've found that I can't load the CTF-Command map in any way without it crashing on me. Which means I can't complete the tournament, since it's the last CTF map to finish.

Running in ultra-safe mode (software driver, windowed 640x480, no sound, no acceleration, all defaults) still crashes UT just after 'loading' the map.

Any help?

The error that comes up is:

General protection fault!

History: UModel:LineCheck <- CheckWithLevel <- ULevel:MultiLineCheck <- ULevel:Trace <- AActor:findBase <- BeginPlay <- UGameEngine:LoadMap <- LocalMapURL <- UGameEngine:Browse <- UGameEngine:Init <- InitEngine

Hope that means something to someone.

Machine spec:

Running UT 425 and 428 (both versions crash),

Celeron 400, 128 Mb Ram, over 4Gb HD space for swap, Win95b,

Diamond uTNT2 with nVidia 3.68, 3.69, 5.22 and 6.18 drivers (no difference between any of them),

Creative Ensoniq PCI soundcard + latest driver.

-- Bob

Viking1

Highly Unstable
Aug 12, 2000
Winnipeg
www.cainsunited.net
UT did not install right. Copy entire disk to your hard drive and run the setup from there. UT sometimes corrupts files when installing from cd. I don't think you need to uninstall but backup UnrealTournament.ini and User.ini just in case.

Dr Bob

Aug 14, 2000
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work. In fact, it's even worse now :(

I did the copy to HD and then reinstall, but UT then didn't even run. So I uninstalled everything, and reinstalled. I can now play CTF-Command as a practice game, but it crashes immediately if I try to start a tournament.

I can't believe they could make such a good game, but then screw it up with all these bugs. I think I'll take UT back if the shop will let me, this is too annoying to deal with.

-- Bob

Crager

Ahh...just a player here
Apr 30, 2000
NY
www.teamimmortal.org
Use the 420 patch. That seemed to be the most stable patch out. 425 caused crashing on my system and 428 was lagging on-line. Go back to the 522 drivers if 420 doesn't help.

pinworm

Aug 7, 2000
Visit site
try closing all running apps in the background, like virus scan, icq, aim, getright, realplay, watever. i had almost the same error message, and it seemed to solve that prob.