Level Structure Tips???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ash Trey

Dec 11, 1999
I wanna make a multi-environment map (haven't got full details about it yet) but I'm not good at level structure since I have only been making indoor levels. If anybody has any tips, etc, about outdoor levels and environments (how to make good hills, water effects, lava, desert[?], ice related, anything outdoor related, etc...) or how to make a good skybox (need help on this one desperately!!!) then it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

PS. If anybody can't understand this then ask me to clear it up and I'll try to...

[This message has been edited by Ash Trey (edited 01-05-2000).]

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
http://members.xoom.com/Wanderer21/ttf.zip

Anybody who's read this thing is gonna have to give me some feedback on it. I've given the link to loads of people yet nobodies ever asked any questions regarding it. That either notions that I did a good job and that they understood it or that they looked at it for 5 seconds, hurled their lunch, and went back to something else.

It's a complicated tutorial and you really should look at the map with the grid set to either 64 or 128 units to get the grip on how it's supposed to be used.

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
look at the outdoor maps that come with unreal/ut for ideas on general layout.
sky boxes don't necessarily need to be boxes. spheres work nicely. i used a couple of spheres to carve out a skybox on one of my maps. i offset the axes by 30 degrees or so and used the starfield texture from shanesky (scaled down a bit). the effect was irregular pattern of stars that twinkle when you move the fov. the extra polys created by the two spheres also helped in making a more smooth horizon, which was my initial goal.

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
i downloaded it. it's a very good approach to making some rather convincing landscape. i especially like the canyons.
(this is the terraforming tut i hope)

Jenkins

America's Greatest Kitten Mitten
Apr 24, 2000
Irving, Tx, USA
jljenkins.cjb.net
Just remember, there's something that's built into Unrealed that can help, the Floor Lofter. Simple to use and you can create some nifty little mountains.

bullet2.gif

Jenkins

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
You know Jenkins, I tried the Floor Lofter a couple of times without much success. It was much faster and easier, true. But I would end up with BSP holes that drove me nuts. I did this in one level and it just drove me nuts. I eventually said screw it and used my way.

DISCLAIMER: Results may vary and you may have better luck using the Floor Lofter instead then my way (which for intents and purposes is very screwy).