UT for PS2??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LarryM

Aug 6, 2000
Canada
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone knows about crap'o'la PS2 getting the UT game. I read how it would good enough, be fast enough... but will it play the same? Considering the Playstation controller blows for shooters! I would like ur thoughts on this matter, good or bad. ;)

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
Personally I think UT would suck on a console. Much like previous attempts, like DOOM 64, Hexen2, etc. Not to mention the fact that they'd all be playing on modems, if I remember correctly. But who am I to complain about all the extra cannon fodder that the Play Station community would add... ;)

ascetic

Jul 4, 2000
I agree with Kokensu...games like Quake, Hexen, Doom, Duke Nukem, etc, etc, etc all were big hits as PC games but then really sucked when they were released for console. I've not really monitored stuff with PS2, but I truly don't believe the game will be as good.

Also, there's no mods, skins, new maps, etc!!

LarryM

Aug 6, 2000
Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by The Dopefish
The controller has analog and digital controls, so I can't see how it wouldn't be alright.

grated but ever play Q2 on Playstation!! NO where near as good as the good ol'mouse&keyboard though. And most times I perfer controllers (console,no FUC'IN Micro'**** controllers). :mad:

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
geez.

I'm sure keyboards and mice will be available for the PS2 seeing as they did 'em for the dreamcast. I wish people would stop dissing the PS2 just because its a console, as the 'Emotion Engine' running the PS2 really is something. The graphics on the PS2 r0x0r, you've got DVD player built in, and u can play UT on it. The PS2s gonna rock!!!!

And I'm not just saying that because i am 14 years old..

ascetic

Jul 4, 2000
ya, hopefully they'll release a keyboard and possibly a mouse. I don't remember a mouse for dreamcast ?

Anyways, it wouldn't really be much different than PC if it DID come with those so what would be the point in buying it. It would be like going out and buying another copy of UT for PC.

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
Exactly. Why buy a PS2 so that you can try to make it resemble a computer? I don't mind consoles. Some of my favorite series came from consoles. Like the whole SquareSoft saga.

Entropica{KS}

nepenthe's temporary body
Jul 19, 2000
Well, UT is coming for DC and PS2, I just can't remember which one WON'T work with PCs and which one will. At one point, the PS2 version wasn't even going to have multiplayer at all...

PS2 has what amounts to USB ports, putting a mouse and keyboard on it would be no sweat. It can also be attached to a VGA monitor (though it runs in 640X480 at 60Hz). The potential is there for the online UT community to just explode in size following the release of the console versions of UT.

On console FPSs: Quake2 for PSX was absolutely freakin horrible when I played it at Christmas. On the other hand, 5 years ago I had a BLAST going through DOOM on my Playstation. It was actually damn good. But that was 5 years ago. I also hated Goldeneye for N64.

Entropica{KS}

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I don't want to offend anyone (the newbie doesn't need that kind of grief) :D

But, if you're going to get a PS2, you better use it for more than just UT. If you have it for the computer (and everyone on a UT forum does, I'm sure) :D then why bother putting in a mouse and keybaord for the PS2 version? You already have that on a computer, and can upgrade it. Mods, mutes, new versions, I bet none of that would be possible with a PS2 version. I'm not bashing it, I'm trying to see both sides... but I just cannot see the advantages a PS2 version has over a PC version. Other than you get to play UT if somebody else needs the computer :D

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
I'd buy it mainly for the sports games. Actually, if I were to buy the PS2 or the Xbox, I'd make sure to steer clear of any games I'd rather have on my computer. It makes very little sense to buy games you already have. :eek:

ascetic

Jul 4, 2000
ya, sports games are better on console...usually

tho shooters are solely meant for computers

ascetic

Jul 4, 2000
...i must have the last post...and i must increase my post count...lol

ya, i agree...i like the traditional mouse/keyboard combination

i mean u have say 10-15 buttons max on a console controller and over 100 with a keyboard...limits are endless