Give it (camper) a rest already

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

IgnoranceIsBliss

Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
I am starting to notice that more and more players are tossing the word "camper" around a lot. Usually accompanied by a load of profanity. By the language, it sounds like some juvenile newbie is trying to show off his knowledge of the latest buzzwords. In other words, it's always some newbie who isn't resourceful or experienced, and has to resort to name calling.

In my view, there is such a thing as playing defense. I certainly don't mind, if my teamates camp, because it's nice to have a flag there, when I'm about to make another cap, heh, heh.

Any good player who's worth his salt should be able to find ways of dispensing with a camper. Good maps have multiple ways of getting to a flag, and I am always surprised at how inventive some of the really good players are. Seems that there is no foolproof method to defend against those guys.

The thing that really annoys me are team killers. The game is lost if you have a few on your team.

Hey Fu*ko!

Jul 29, 2000
athena.nailed.org
yep

I'd have to agree. I don't like being called a camper while
defending the base in ctf, but the best thing you can do
when somthing like this happens is to ignore it. If you let
the little whiners get to you it just ebbs away at your
playing ability.

so, Ignore the llamas!

Malsar

Dec 24, 1999
Canada
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. Camping is too useful and necessary to coordinated team play. I like nothing more in CTF when my team members are using the sniper rifle to cover me when I get the flag. Of course, I don't like spawn snipers and I think they should be labelled llamas as always. But I like defensive players who can aid base protection. I often play defender on maps like CTF-Face and CTF-Lava Giant. It's a great way to distribute your teams firepower and resources.

Camping, defending, and sniping are all perfectly permissible tactics in UT and shame on anyone who says otherwise.

Jul 22, 2000
errrrr......now Camping means alot of diff things. There is your "sniper camper" and your "shieldbelt" camper. Your Shieldbelt type camper sits his lazy,huge,smelly *** on the shieldbelts/redeemer/kegohealth spawn point. That is a camper. Then U got the sniper camper wich is not @ all a camper. Just becasue he sits somewhere in CTF with his sniper rifle might not make him a camper.But then again,all of us have seen campers that like to use the sniper rifle. But where to draw the line on who is a camper and who is a sniper is not easy.

Mandrosk

May 5, 2000
Seattle WA USA
Visit site
My favorite is when someone camps the shieldbelt on Hydro. They can't see you, you can't see them, but a little Alt-Fire flak up into the pipes and they ricochet around like a pinball!

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
there's a shield belt on hydro??!!
Oh yeah on the camper issue since I play D on CTF I stick to the flag like flypaper. Because everytime I leave the flag somebody comes in and grabs it and I feel bad for leaving my position cos I thought it was too slow by the flag as all the other defenders take care of invaders elsewhere. I have that effect on things:eek:

darklite

Apr 3, 2000
I mostly play instagib ctf online so I don't really need to worry about snipers, but there is a sort of form of camping that isn't really defense. well, it could be considered that, but its a really cheap defense.. heh
anyway, one good example: the server I usually play on has CTF-Niven (crap map imo; especially on a server with a max of 16) in its cycle.. every once in a while people will camp on top of the (ours, not their own) door trim and kill people who come out. people will also camp the ramp leading through to the other flag
I really don't see how people can sit still long enough to be a camper, heh. :) the only time I'm even able to do that is if I know for sure someone of important is going to be crossing my path (ie; someone has my flag and kills me and I respawn outside the reactor.. I may camp the door if the FC is close enough to it at the time).
I don't really care much about campers really.. they may get me once, but unless they have a good aim they rarely get me again unless they have other skills besides camping. it really only bothers me when someone has the top score by doing one of those things I mentioned above..

Aug 7, 2000
I don't really care about campers.....an exception is made if they are lift-camping in CTF-LastCommand or AS-Guardia............

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
My favourite time getting called a camper:

Map: Niven
Server: The Roost

No one else was defending, so I took it upon myself to do it. I stayed back around the corner and listened for the door to open. Whenever I heard the door open, I'd launch a combo. Actually, I find this boring.

After having his gib's decorating the walls way too often for his liking, |C|Synesis let loose and called me a "camper" with some decorative adjectives. He immediately followed by saying "I shouldn't have said that". I simply replied "I'd rather be attacking".

I took it as a compliment. :)

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Camping? In CTF? Naaaah!

In CTF there is no such thing as camping, according to some people. If you're sitting next to the flag, it's called "base defence". If you're sitting on top of the shieldbelt, it's called "resource control". If you're sitting on top of the LavaG ridge picking off people, it's called "offensive/defensive sniping".

Us CTF'ers have no need to worry about campers. It's all good. ;)

/me sits back with a Bud and his Intelli Explorer :D