chasing HOM demons

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
i've started to add eye candy to the rooms in my level, and when i added a tv monitor thing to one room, room 1, a HOM appeared in a different room, call it room 2, a little ways away AND in a different zone. hmmm...

working on a hunch, i added a simple (and poorly done - it was nearly 2 am) table to the room with the HOM (room 2). the damn thing then migrated to room 1, screwing up about a quarter of the floor space.

so, i duplicated the cheap and nasty table and shoved it into room 1 to exorcise the HOM demon once and for all. this time it worked.

can anyone offer an explaination of how HOM errors are created (from the engine's perspecitve) and why simply adding a small bit of geometry in one place can create or cure a HOM in another, apparently unrelated, place?

- P

RFairey

King of the Faireys
Aug 2, 2000
Somewhere Else
Visit site
God I hate HOMs. All the geometry in your level creates BSP cuts which stretch away from your TV monitor or whatever and affaect the rest of your level. They most often occur when two add brushes overlap. Don't add other things to your level in the hope the BSP hole will go away - find out what brush is causing it then either delete it, move it, or make it semisolid.

i-spie

Jun 28, 2000
Toronto
Visit site
hey phrag.....I usually try a rebuild with about a cut rate of 10 rather than 15. Also, in my last level, I noticed that HOM's would creep up when I added a zone barrier, which was intersecting with another brush. Try adding your "eye candy" by intersecting it into the brush that it is touching, which in your case would be the floor. Sometimes this fixes the problem....

Also, if your monitor is comprised of many brushes, do the intersect step (making a brush bigger than your monitor brushes and then intersecting them), this will make the UT engine see it as one brush as opposed to many brushes....

just a thought......

thanks guys. thats helped reduced the knock-on effect from adding new stuff. i dont know if its a generally-accepted way of doing things, but i also find i get fewer HOM errors with decorations if, in addition to making them a single brush and semi-solid where i can, i have them not touch the floor/ceiling/whatever, by a tiny amount, 1 unit or less (with the grid off). so far so good. im hoping that by reducing the areas where brushes meet should simplify the job for the engine.

is this complete crap or am i sorta right?

- P

Aphex

Jan 31, 2000
Manchester, UK
homepage.ntlworld.com
By not having solids overlap, the resulting BSP cuts will be less complex = less chance of it messing up :)
Also certain other brushes (usu. portals/sheets/invisible coln hulls) when overlapping cause horrible things to happen.
So you're right there ;)

NutWrench

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
I've been able to save a lot of maps by resizing an overlapped brush after I've already added it.

You'll need to figure out which part of the brush is overlapping, then highlight it and place the pivot point on the opposite side of the brush. (The brush will expand and contract relative to the position of the pivot point)

At this point, I switch off grid snapping and vertex snapping (on the icon bar) and used the resize tool. You'll have to zoom in and eyeball it to make sure the edge of the highlighted brush lines up with its neighbor. After you've resized it in one direction, check the other windows to make sure the brush fits the other ways, too.

If you have a simple brush (a cubical room) overlapping a complex brush (a curvy coridoor or tunnel), you can also use vertex editing to fix the overlap. Switch off the grid and vertex snapping, as before. It will be easier if you edit the wall of the simple brush (only four vertex points to move the wall of a cube, as opposed to a dozen or more points on the complex brush) Don't forget to rebuild. :)