UT RULES BUT......

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

detr1

Feb 6, 2000
Visit site
Someone please help me tweak the game to increase speed. I have played Q3 for a long time and it "flows" so well. This game feels heavy and timing (tight jumps etc...) is difficult because it seems the CPU load is heavier. It's running in d3d and that seems to give the "best" performance.

How can I tweak the .ini files to increase FPS or even decrease the window size within UT?

I have ALL the latest drivers.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!

CPU: P3-550
128 RAM
13g HD
Annihilator2 NVIDIA GeForce256
Win 98v2

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
UseMipmapping=True
UseTrilinear=False
UseMultitexture=True
UsePageFlipping=True
UsePalettes=True
UseFullscreen=True
UseGammaCorrection=True
DetailTextures=False
Use3dfx=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
UsePrecache=True
Use32BitTextures=False
DescFlags=1
dwDeviceId=257
dwVendorId=4318
Use32BitZBuffer=False
UseVertexFog=False
UseAGPTextures=False
UseVideoMemoryVB=False
UseVSync=False
Description=NVIDIA GeForce DDR

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
Hmmm - I'm a bit confused here - the system above should run UT like a dream.

Also I'm not sure what u mean by "heavy" - more info plz (perhaps you just need to upgrade your drivers, or get the latest UT Patch (425)

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
Maybe it's just that UT doesn't go as fast as Q3 usually. There are Mods (Tremor) the Q3-ise UT, take out it's random physics and speed up players. If you're used to the "feel" of Q3, yeah UT will seem swampy, but the physics are probably more natural (actually to me it feels a lot more like Q1 or HL than, say Q2, or Q3).

darklite

Apr 3, 2000
Q3A is faster in terms of both gamespeed and fpses, atleast as far as GeForces are concerned. though, flow is personal, and to me, UT flows better than Q3A does.

when you say screensize do you mean resolution? if so, whats your resolution?
when you say latest drivers, do you mean latest vendor (creative) or reference (nvidia) drivers? are they leaked or official?
though it won't help if you're getting fpses in the 20s or so, open up your D3D properties and disable vsync. because I have a crappy monitor with a refresh rate of 60khz (or hz or whatever), I always peaked around 60fps.. but disabling vsync makes it so I almost always peak over 100 fps (atleast when I was running 640x480x32, I doubt I peak much higher than 75 in what I play now, 800x600x32)
Raptor: it depends on what you would consider running "like a dream." Epic's D3D engine isn't the best there is, especially when you compare it to id's OGL engine for Q3A. my system is almost identical to his, and in most games I play in UT I average 50fps in 800x600x32 in high/high, but I normally average 90 or so fps in Q3A in 1024x768x32 with the highest details.
also, do a search for "Cachesizemegs" in your ut.ini and change that to half your memory (64megs I guess), and you can also set UsePreCache to false; I've noticed no difference from turning it on or turning it off fpswise and it just adds to the loadtime of levels
also, I would not recommend getting 425 at this point.. from what others have said, it does more harm than good. my suggestion for him versionwise is either get 420, or get 413 and try the different D3D dlls from http://unreal.epicgames.com

darklite

Apr 3, 2000
detr: do me a favor and benchmark yourself in UT, so we can tell if you're just too used to Q3A's gamespeed or if UT is really giving you problems

load up UT (of course)
open up your console (hit ~)
type timedemo 1
type open cityintro
close the console

let that run through twice and then reopen the console
it should give information on your fps "x frames rendered in x seconds. x fps avg x fps min" or something of that nature. paste those lines

G-Lite

ftw
Jul 25, 2000
g-lite.kochen.nl
You guys are sooo lucky... I'm running a 355 mhz and an Ati Rage LT pro, software renderer. D3D doesn't work, neither does openGL. My average is 14 FPS. It definitly sucks. Now that we're talking about D3D, can anyone tell me why it's running so slow on my computer? When i am in spectator mode, CTF-Face, on the hill in the middle of the level looking at the red base. Now I turn around to the blue base. RRRRRRRRR. after about half a minute it appears on the screen. It is accessing the hd all the time. OpenGL is also really slow. Everything latest drivers. DX7, latest Ati drivers, everything. I'm running a 355 mhz, 64 mb ram, ati rage LT pro 2x agp (that's what ut says), 6GB hd, and if it matters a 1.5 GB swap file, chache = 55 MB. I tried al kinds of different options in D3D and OpenGL. They just don't won't work fine. Also in D3D mode I get real funny light effects.

~NitroFish*

Jun 26, 2000
Tucson, AZ ,USA
Visit site
Hey Shteef:

What CPU is that 355mhz? I'm gonna take a guess and say its most likely an AMD K6-2 or maybe a Celeron. .

If ya got a K6-2 350mhz and you don't want to upgrade the system board for a better processor, getting a 3dfx Voodoo3 video card to replace that crappy ATI will help. You also need more RAM, adding an aditional 64MB to bring your RAM to 128MB will help a lot.

That ATI video card just plain sucks. Even if you have a 366Mhz Celeron CPU, I would definately get rid of that ATI video card and add another 64MB of RAM.

You also don't need that large of a swap file. I have mine set at 200MB (max/min) and I have 128MB of RAM. My MaxiGamer TNT2 Ultra 32 video card runs UT great in D3D.

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
UT seems to run perfectly for me on a 600Mhz Athlon and Voodoo 3 2000 in Direct3D... but maybe I'm just still stunned after using a 200Mhz Pentium :)

Status
Not open for further replies.