PDA

View Full Version : The future of FPS might be Lost READ!!!!!!!!!!!

Grappler
8th Aug 2000, 06:00 PM
When i first heard about this in July i was probably like alot of you and did not think very much of it. But after seeing the screenshots of the ASUS Cheating Drivers in action i am mortified that the potential for online gaming could be lost.

You might not think it that big a deal...thats its just a few cards...No its not its now all nVidia based cards. Someone hacked the ASUS cheating Drivers and has made it avail to all nVidia based cards.

This effects us all in more ways than one. The obvious is that the online gaming experience will be Trashed. Another more unseen way is that we will experience delays in game completion. Even worse we will have to endure the cost of developers having to do more work to fix this.

I do not blame the Game developers for adding the cost...even if its just a fraction of a cent.

So i want to create a petition for all the gamers out there. I want to initiate(sp) a class action Lawsuit against ASUS. I do not want to do this to make money for us the gamers i want to do this to punish ASUS for there thoughtless actions.

No matter what ASUS does now they released the drivers and it cant be taken back. ITs out there now and i have seen it in action in CounterStrike.

I do not like the idea of Frivilous Lawsuits but ASUS has tied our hands as to what we can do to fix this.

Please post here and tell me what you think of this...IF i get enough of you telling me its not a good idea then i wont go forward with it. I plan on posting this on several FPS gaming sites.

Ixari
9th Aug 2000, 12:27 PM
I'm with you man
And it's not only asus who has those drivers
Intel has them to...they was this info on http://www.clanbase.com about the assus and somebody repleyed that in has "the Performance Toolbox" witch is the same as the assus driver stuff
Those ****ers r reuning the UT scene and all other games....if i now play i don't know if the duded it cheating or really good =( it sucks

Nazgul
10th Aug 2000, 06:23 AM
A heinous crime indeed.

Isn't there some way that UT and other games could detect whether a player uses this look-through-walls feature and report it to the server so that the player can be eliminated from the game?

That would solve the problem for online gaming at least.

Nazgul

alien8
10th Aug 2000, 05:18 PM
I agree with Nazgul that something like that might be the best, but do you remember the uproar that id caused when they had that being done with Q3Test? They quickly changed that.

It would work, I think, if the companies had an option to send your info (like some online game registrations do), but everyone using the cheat drivers would never send them anyways, and neither would I, actually. A little too close to invading my privacy. Just my humble opinion, though.

titanus
11th Aug 2000, 12:12 AM
I heard a rumor about Matrox's beta driver also being able to see transparently...hmm....

RizMan|PuF
11th Aug 2000, 08:23 AM
I'm with you Grappler. Let's stop this insanity and make the gaming community clean from this cheat

CHRYSt
11th Aug 2000, 09:26 AM
This has been tried before, and failed. The gaming community lashed out at the vendors until they removed the functionality.

Another thing, is that if this does get off the ground, I'm sure game makers can write code to prevent it from working.

ascetic
11th Aug 2000, 03:03 PM
I haven't really heard much about these 'cheating' drivers but I remember seeing recently on CS League that the new Counterstrike patch would disable them. Shouldn't Epic be able to do the same thing with UT?