help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

~Cobra~

Cursed!
Apr 7, 2000
Visit site
ok... my friend wants to play UT. so i went to his house and installed it but it kept on going weird. it would crash when trying to enter a game and it would take really really long to load. sometimes it would crash while UT was loading.

his system specs:
p3-550
64mb RAM
Ati rage pro 128
some other stuff that i don't think it has anything to do with...

anyway.. he's running on 420 and on d3d. would switching to a voodoo2 or voodoo3 help this crashing problem? any help would be appreciated.

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
Lets start with the easy stuff (cause thats all I know).

Make sure his vid card has the latest drivers.

Uninstall UT and reinstall it fresh.

I was running UT off of a generic 8meg vid card before I got my Voodoo. I only got 10 frames per second, but it didn't crash. His Rage should be able to run UT without crashing IMciO (In My completely ignorant Opinion).

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
I've got an ATI Rage Pro in my computer here at work. Don't bother trying to run it in any mode other than 512x384 in software. It's horrible.

Yes, any voodoo will be better.

As for not functioning - wierd. I'd suggest the cd-crack to help the start up problem.

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
Cleaner has a point, but there is an exception to every rule.

Ruffriders comp has (or had) only 64 rams, and he somehow manages to kick lots of booty.

64 ram definitely is a major holdback for running UT, but I still think you should be able to run it, without crashing all the time. I just wouldn't expect to have any sort of decent performance.

~Cobra~

Cursed!
Apr 7, 2000
Visit site
ack thanks guys... i was pretty sure it was the video card.. i have a spare voodoo2 that i can give him so he can get sucked into the world of UT :D .. muhahahahaha

Orkin Man

Jul 31, 2000
Indeed, I'd be willing to bet money that it's the 64 megs of ram. One of my friends, oddly enough, used to have 64 megs with a voodoo 3 3000 and 400mhz, and the game ran horribly, we rarely even got it to start, and online play was out of the question. But just a few weeks ago he had his cpu upgraded to 128 megs and the game runs absolutely fine with no hitches at all. Your friend should upgrade to 128 megs and see what happens, if it doesn't work, oh well, the extra 64 megs can't hurt, and would most likely be needed down the line anyway.