UT and Windows ME

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
Has anyone successfully run UT on Win ME? I know the release isn't due until September, but it'd be nice to know if these things are compatible. I've read that ME is using a different version of DirectX.

Also, I don't suppose the ME has those cool Win2K dropshadow mouse pointers, eh? ;)

Mrukk

Inhuman
May 10, 2000
Baltimore, MD
Yep - it works just fine. No problems at all. Been running UT on it for a few weeks now :)

Unfortunately, I don't think they have the pointers you are looking for :(

Have fun.
Mrukk

Mrukk

Inhuman
May 10, 2000
Baltimore, MD
I haven't had any problems running any games so far on WinME, but then since I've had it I haven't really played too many older type games :(

How old are you talking about? Any examples, or particular games? I might be able to test them for you :)

Cheers
Mrukk

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
Uh, ok, SC. My problem is that I *have* Win2K (as an alternate OS on a triple boot menu with Win98SE and BeOS 5 Pro) and have some familiarity with how Win2k handles games. WinME is, as they say, another kettle of fish, not quite Win2K (ok, not even close, still filed under "toy OS") and maybe a little better than Win98SE. My friend who has the various NFS games can run UT now but not NFS and I want to know if others out there have had the same experience. But thanks for playing. ;)

Likewise, Diablo II seems to work, but I'm hesistant to take the plunge myself until I know that all the other games in my rotation (see partial list, above) will work as well. Ideally, I'd like a fast, bullet-proof OS that handles all my old stuff and the very latest stuff with grace and dexterity. I already know WinME isn't that, but if it's better than Win98SE, then I'd be interested in taking a look.

sputnik

Nov 10, 1999
new orleans
Visit site
WinME in my opinion is just win98 with new icons and some extra crap that ill never use. Sure it has new features like video and imaging tools, but for someone interested in that, they will use a stand alone program for achieving real results. Same goes for that wacky media player 7 with the giant interface and skins. Anyhow, other than that i seen no performance improvement over win98 when i used to use it, im stuck on w2k since beginning of year and dont see any chance of going back.

If you arent someone who likes to try new OS's and experiment/tweak then just dload the w2k desktop theme for win98, now you have winME ;)

For arguements sake, I did run UT and Vampire with no problems on winME while testing it out.

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
Anyhow, other than that i seen no performance improvement over win98 when i used to use it, im stuck on w2k since beginning of year and dont see any chance of going back.

:( That's what I was afraid of. I'm looking for something that's more stable than 98SE (which crashes on me *every* day). I'd do Win2K if it had more of the funky drivers that I seem to require for gaming (Hammerhead gamepad, anyone? I couldn't do Descent 3 without it). Now if Win2K had more driver support and was a little more spry... ;)

Mrukk

Inhuman
May 10, 2000
Baltimore, MD
Ok, so I have tested some games... as others have said, the NFS's seem to work (I tried 3 and 5). Diablo II surely works, as does System Shock 2 and Star Wars - Force Commander.

Unfortunately that is all I can do right now :( However, I cannot see any reason at all why all your games should not work. As others have said, WinME is basically the same as Win98 - therefore most everything should work fine.

What they do not tell you is that WinME is a lot more stable than 98. I can run it for days and days with no problems (unlike 98 :() It boots faster and networks better etc etc.

Still, if you can get most things you need on 2000 then you probably have the best system. You realise that the long awaited service pack has just been released for Win2000?? Perhaps it might help you out (if you are really lucky of course) ;)

Cheers
Mrukk

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
I said the same thing about Win2K - I'll never go back!!

But I got tired of games not working and drivers never being released.

WinMe is stable (not as stable as W2K of course, but MUCH better than Win9x). Very fast (much faster than Win9x or W2K).

I really like it so far.

Btw, NFS5 does NOT work with W2K.

I've yet to find anything that doesn't work with WinMe.

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
Well, on the strength of the discussion here, I just got done installing ME. I still have a fair bit of work to do to restore the bulk of my settings (thank God for my CD-RW), but one thing I've noticed right off the top is how snappy things are. It starts faster (not even close to BeOS for speed, but very nice all things considered) and I swear webpages load faster as well. I've noticed more changes, cosmetically, from 98 to 98SE but it still is obviously 98.

Now to try gaming for myself on ME!