HAVE A MAP IDEA..

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FROM_ THE_ HEAVENS

Apr 20, 2000
Shawnee, kansas, USA
Visit site
Have a map idea

Hey guys want to know what you think.

Currently i am working for an engineering company in Kansas City.
Well needless to say we are responsible for the Design and
layout of a NEW NASCAR track here in Kansas.
Construction has already begun.

Well while doing some of the drawings for the job and creating a 3d building in MICROSTATION.....i got to thinking ....man on a small scale this would make a great map.
This may be a question more for you mappers out there.
but .
I use Microstation/Autocad extensively
and if i recall correctly UED will support dxf file formats.
i wonder how much information, UED will pick up if i export my 3d model track drawing to a dxf format.

i already have an idea for some movers......such as cars going arond the track...
etc...
or even a capture the flag map with opposite PITlanes used for each side....
any one ever use DXF files in UED?
don't know if any of you enjoy racing
but just thought this would be something different.

Arkive

May 10, 2000
members.home.com
It's a good idea, and I personally love realistic maps, but I think you're going to run into a problem. Stricly ourdoor areas require a LOT of discipline to design properly, otherwise the framerate is killed because there's too many polys in view at any given time. I've seen maps that were so complex that you couldn't even run them at NASA. The only thing with this kind of problem is that you don't notice the maps bloated until it's too late :) Go ahead and give it a try, but keep a close eye on the number of visible poly's and meshs at any given location. If you can keep those down, you've got a cool idea on your hands. I personally love the idea of blasting someone with the shock rifle into oncoming traffic :D As for bringing dxf files in...you should be able to do it, but I don't know how. I think there's a conversion program that allows the import of dxf files (or perhaps they come in natively, I'm really not sure on either points as the only things I've brought into Ued are textures and terrain from TerraEdit). Check out http://www.unrealized.com and drop Wanderer an email. He's really knowlegable and can answer almost any question. You can also try dropping a post on the "Editing" forum on PlanetUnreal. Hope it works out...and let us know if the map comes to light.

Jeff

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
The day someone makes...

...a tall, tower map with just a spiral staircase all the way to the top, and at the top there's a teleporter so you can get outside and pick up all sorts of stuff...the day someone makes that map I will die a happy man (not anytime soon, I hope ;)).

FROM_ THE_ HEAVENS

Apr 20, 2000
Shawnee, kansas, USA
Visit site
as for paying HNTB>>>>
well...
we won't go there.
good HOMEWORK Butress.....
how are you familiar.

but i am thinking about the building presenting a problem.
what i may do is really strip down the polys in the dwg. file and try to create 4 zones....so to speak in the map.

Arkive

May 10, 2000
members.home.com
Before you go to any real trouble on your current drawings, I would make a really simple design in AutoCAD and make sure you can get that into Ued...then go from there. Good luck...

Jeff