PDA

View Full Version : Kick *** UT Server on Hotline!!!

Rogue's F8
28th Jul 2000, 12:57 AM
Greeting's everyone!

My name is Rogue, and I'd like to tell you about my Unreal Tournament server on Hotline.

For those of you who've been to the server, you know what I have, and what the server is all about. For those of you who haven't been there.... Well, let me tell you.

First, the server has over 3 gig's of Unreal Tournament files on it, (1.7 gigs of it are Maps) ready to be downloaded by you. I have tons of Maps, Skins, Mods, Mutators, Voicepacks, Utilities, Documentation, & more!!

Second, this is without a doubt, the biggest UT server on Hotline. There is no one bigger. NO ONE! Nobody even comes close. And the best part is.....

IT'S FREE!!!!

That's right. No banner's to click, or links to visit for login/pass access. This server is for everyone. This server is for YOU!

So, how do I connect to it, you ask? Simple. You must have Hotline Client installed on your computer. Launch the program, and enter the IP address:

That's it. Your logged in, and ready to download. So, what are you waiting for? Come on in, and check it out for yourself...

I hope to see you there!

Rogue

Game0rz
28th Jul 2000, 01:52 AM
please do not spam here!
thanks

DragonAsh
28th Jul 2000, 06:39 AM
well, im not too sure this can be considered spam (although the kid did an infomercial kinda thing.)
hes probably just excited.

ITs npot like we gotta pay for anything. And it is a new server. So give the kid some lee-way

i have yet to play his server.

if it sucks, then this is spam! *LOL*

Kukuman
28th Jul 2000, 10:04 AM
Oh dear God...

First of all, it's a cable server. You can NOT run a server with more than, oh, 4-6 people on cable.

Second of all, does this server actually require us to download those 3 Gigs?

And WTF is this "OMG IT'S FREE WOWOWOWOOWO" part? It's safe to say that ALL of the other servers are free, so there goes that argument.

And you MUST download this "Hotline" thing to play on the server...ugh. I hate downloading cute "killer apps". They're just that: killer apps. They kill my system.

To be a good server, do these things: 1. DITCH CABLE. 2. Ditch the 3 GB downloads. 3. Ditch Hotline. Then I will consider playing on your server, but for now it's one that I will stay far away from.

Stosh
28th Jul 2000, 10:30 AM
I'm of the same inclination. I don't want to install some program to access your server.

If I want games to play, thats what the browser and IRC is for.

If I want map, mods, and such, that's what http://www.fileplanet.com, http://www.planetunreal.com/nalicity and http://www.fileleech.com are for. If there is anything I wanted, I've been able to find it at these sites, very easily.

Why is your server better?

Rooster
28th Jul 2000, 10:50 AM
Cable server = lame

Arkive
28th Jul 2000, 12:12 PM
Well Rooster, some of us don't have the dough for a Tx or OC-x connection :) I've got 400Kb of upstream bandwidth on my cable modem, and while that's not humongous by any means, I don't have any problem hosting 8 player matches, and haven't received any complaints so far. So please, go easy on us poor cable b@stards :)

Jeff

Rogue's F8
28th Jul 2000, 12:24 PM
Well, let me say thank you, to you all. Although this isn't quite the response that I was expecting. (quite frankly, this is the first time I've had such a response), I appreciate all your input.

I am a little worried, though. It seems, I've given most of you the impression that this is a server that you can PLAY Unreal Tournament on. Although I wish I could afford to set up a server to do just that, that is not the case.

The server is for downloading UT related materials, such as maps, mods, skins, mutators, documentation, etc....

Now, you wonder what the benifits are of having the server on hotline, versus downloading them from more well known web sites?

As great as those sites are, I hate having to click a bunch of links just to get to the download page to start downloading. I found that really annoying. It also took me longer to download all the files I was looking for. Plus, it just stuffs up the download manager of the browsers.

This, in my opinion offers a faster way to get these files. Okay, so you have to download an App to get on the server. One of you have said, "...thats what the browser and IRC is for." Isn't IRC another App you have to download to acces their servers?

I understand that everyone is going to have an opinion about what I am trying to do. That's fine. I can live with that, no problem. All I AM trying to do, is help make the UT world, just that nuch stronger. With over 2000 logins, and over 16,000 downloads in just 1 week, I'd like to think that I'm starting to succeed.

I'm interested in hearing your responses.

Rogue

Toolvana
28th Jul 2000, 06:08 PM
I appreciate your kind gesture Rogue. I'll check it out... :)

Game0rz
28th Jul 2000, 08:34 PM
yeah, its not a server you play on, its a server on hotline, hotline is a cool program thats good for d/l stuff especially warez! :)

DragonAsh
28th Jul 2000, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Rogue's F8

My name is Rogue, and I'd like to tell you about my Unreal Tournament server on Hotline.

that started the miscommunication

Rogue's F8
28th Jul 2000, 10:36 PM
I apologize for any miscommunication that I have caused. I figured that everybody knew what Hotline was.

I'll be more careful in the future.

Has anyone visited yet? Just interested to know....

Rogue

Goughmezz
29th Jul 2000, 01:21 AM
Leave him alone Dragon Ash! He's being polite! >:(

Kukuman
29th Jul 2000, 01:26 AM
Ooooooooooooh okie dokie

I still think a cable server couldn't handle uploading that many files, especially if it gets popular.

Still, I'd rather go by tried and true, quick connections to a traditional HTTP/FTP server than download a seperate program...unless Hotline goes over HTTP/FTP which would be very nice.

Rogue's F8
29th Jul 2000, 02:04 AM
Well, I do know a request when I see one. So, on a trial basis, for now anyways, you can download all my files on FTP. Effective immediately.

ftp://24.95.204.23

You can get there by browser, or by your favorite FTP program.

After one week, I'll check my logs and compare them to what I am turning out on Hotline. If I am serving more off of FTP than Hotline, I'll make the switch permanant.

Rogue