PDA

View Full Version : Texture question - stupid really...

Scrawn
19th Dec 1999, 06:40 PM
I'm a pretty advanced user of paint programs (Photoshop, etc.) but a novice when it comes to making maps. I wanted to create some of my own textures for my map and was wondering if they had to be seamless? I assume so, as they would look consistent, but was just wondering anyway.

Lanik
19th Dec 1999, 07:32 PM
They don't have to be seemless but seemless textures look a lot better. I would think an advanced texture artist would know this /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Scrawn
21st Dec 1999, 07:46 PM
True, but I never said I was a "texture artist". I don't do textures for web pages or games and such. I use them for my art pieces (I'm in art school). Anyway seamless textures is something I've never had an interest in as it's much more interesting to NOT make them seamless and they're only used more in the technical fields of art (3D art, motion graphics, games, web pages, etc.).

Wanderer
22nd Dec 1999, 02:45 PM
Making seamless textures is cheaper then making lots of textures intended to be used together to create a bigger effect. This is what has to be done though since we're still limited to 256x256 textures for Unreal. I believe the actual limit is 1024x1024 but considering many cards can't handle textures that big and neither can Dx6/7 it won't happen.