PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Do you ever use Roger Wilco?

OshadowO
26th Jul 2000, 03:45 AM
Well?
Me? I have it but never tried to use it.

Selerox
26th Jul 2000, 04:36 AM
I tuied it when I was in chat once, basically all that happened ws that I found out that skum really does sound like Ringo Star, and that Morgan really does sound like McBane... ;)

Butress
26th Jul 2000, 09:01 AM
WTH is roger wilco?!?!?!? ;)

ummmm... no? :)

Tetris L
26th Jul 2000, 09:12 AM
RW is one of the available voice communication programs. You have it running in the background while playing UT and can talk to your buddies. It doesn't take much additional bandwidth and even modem users can use it.

Many clans use it (or simular programs) and so does mine. Great to coordinate teamplay and to discuss during training. :) Much simpler than typing all the time.

Roger Wilco: http://www.rogerwilco.com
BattleCom: http://www.battlecom.com
FireTalk: http://www.firetalk.com
Team Stream: http://www.teamsound.com

Entropica{KS}
26th Jul 2000, 09:54 AM
Thanks Cleaner!

RW or something similar is a hot topic in our meetings lately. We have 9 broadband users, but 2 56K users, and I've been worried that they would be left out or would have climbing pings or packet loss as a result. Can you tell me it really doesn't have an effect on gameplay even for 56Kers? They both have nice, fast computers, if that helps, just no cable or dsl is ready where they live.

Also, how does it work. Do you buy a cheap headset or do you use a microphone on top of the monitor, or what? I'm assuming you bind a key and then hit while you want to talk, right? Otherwise, I think it would get VERY confusing if it was an always on kind of thing. And if that's the case, can you bind a teamsay and a regular say?

Cleaner, I always appreciate your posts, as you're a very knowledgeable and articulate guy. All this for free? I love this forum!

Entropica{KS}

D66
26th Jul 2000, 10:07 AM
A friend of mine and I tried it once and were underwhelmed. Guess its not good for 1on1 DM. Any way, I can see it being a godsend for CTF AS or DOM

DIGITRON
26th Jul 2000, 10:35 AM
Ive used it before with some guys in a clan.
i thought it was great.
im on 56k and didnt notice a huge ping loss.

i liked it, but its hard to find people using it.
we should have some rw servers for fragpu, that would rock, especially ctf, communication would increase 10 fold.

even if were going to chat it would be great, no more typing, but you would have to try to take turns speaking.

Tetris L
26th Jul 2000, 12:20 PM
RW as well as the other tools take very little bandwidth. I used it with 56k modem and experienced no problem. You will usually use RW or the other tools to connect to buddies and coordinate teamplay. It takes some discipline to speak loud and clear and not to babble too much; otherwise it is more hindrance than help. I'm afraight in a game with strangers, it would be chaotic and not useful at all. And imagine all the BS and flaming that you often read in the chatbox in UT, but *spoken*. OMG, please no. I wonder how this problem will be solved when more games with voice chat will be out.

You will usually use headphones for RW, otherwise you hear an echo from the speakers. You can press a key or use voice activation. There is no teamsay, but some of the tools have various 'channels', that you can define and connect to. Some of the tools have public servers that you can use to meet and talk to strangers.

Entropica,
thanks for the kudo. :) Very often the things that I post here are just copied-pasted from the site in my signature. Browse it and you should find lots of useful stuff. And ... yes, it is free.

My_Oozing_Eye|PuF
26th Jul 2000, 12:38 PM
RW is cool especially in the team games... myself and several buddies of mine use it when we play on public servers... It would be cool if more PuFers used it...

MOE

Entropica{KS}
26th Jul 2000, 02:13 PM
Thanks again! :) And I'm checking out the site even as I type this!

Entropica{KS}

Rooster
26th Jul 2000, 02:20 PM
Currently we use Firetalk - it's not the best, but it seems to be the best sound quality. Couple people have issues with all of them, BattleCom, TeamStream, RogerWilco, Firetalk.. all have drawbacks - but one this is for sure, they can seriously improve a clan's game.

I doubt it will do anything to help a public match as then you've got to have someone hosting the server and then people have to join it for that particular server/game.

I don't see it happenin'

My_Oozing_Eye|PuF
26th Jul 2000, 02:27 PM
Rooster is correct... on a public server it just won't happen...

However, if you stop in #planetunreal you may be able to get several PuFers to join a game together ... RW (or any other program) could then be used to help cooridnate activity... or just talk smack!

MOE

Ruffrider
26th Jul 2000, 02:27 PM
The new roger wilco is so much better than the last one. It solved all ISV-K's issues with the old version and my ping diesnt go up at all

SkummyB|BuF
26th Jul 2000, 02:30 PM
Ci use Battlecom, we tried RW, Teamsound and BC, BC was the best for clarity out of the lot.

It's a good laugh when we are just chillin and not playing, it's helpful when you are playing, all in all it's a worthwhile proggy :D

(Ok shadowfactor, can i have my ten quid now? :D)

Morety
26th Jul 2000, 02:41 PM
I just went out at lunch today to buy a mic/headset for RW. (Voice activated mic., as button pushing to talk is a pain.)

I personally tried it for the first time last night, just screwing around. It'll be great in a match as long as the talking is kept to a minimum.

[PuF]Neo_Skinz
26th Jul 2000, 03:26 PM
I have RW aswell, but I have yet to actually play a match using it. :(

I like the idea of a public server. But I think that it would be better if we had a number of different servers for friendly FFA games. This is because there isnt gona be just one game on at one time, and I doubt u wana be listening to someone from an entirely different match!

It could be just somethin like channel PuF1-5 (or wot ever number of servers there are). We could get Hal to list the channels on the PuF homepage (http://members.xoom.com/longshaft/puf/place.htm), if we can get the lazy git to do it that is. ;)
Then when in #planetunreal we can get anyone using the particular chat program to join an empty channel and away we go. :)

All we need is some dedicated ppl to get em up and running for us to log in when we need to use them.

{PSX}BLenDeR
26th Jul 2000, 03:31 PM
IMO, Perfectly set binds works better than wilco...
if you think about it a bind takes 0.3 seconds to do, to say sumthing takes 1.2 seconds.. and those seconds count..
in AOC Ruiner and me seem to have the best binds.. ive perfected mine over time... and once you play together as a team you know each other.. so you know what to do when a guy binds sumthing...

-This is my take

[PuF]Neo_Skinz
26th Jul 2000, 04:09 PM
Its ok for you lot who have 50 custom binds for every possible scenario that could happen, but wot about everyone else that has to stop and make themselves open to fire while they type out a half arsed instruction that may get messed up as they try to speed type and get back into the action as quickly as possible. Hell there are plenty of ppl out there that dont even have a single speech bind wot so ever!
And some ppl wonder why there is such a lack of communication in the game! :rolleyes:

And anyway, most ppl would probably just use it for fun. Not every match is as organised as a clan match ya know!

OshadowO
26th Jul 2000, 04:37 PM
I use the standard CTF binds about five of em. Then I have three insults but they are out of reach and rarely ever used. The CTF commands are within easy reach. I still can't see how people can have so many binds and be able to reach them easily...

Rooster
26th Jul 2000, 05:16 PM
Blender is in his fantasy world again. :D

I have binds for most major maps that my clan plays. I have 8 map specific binds for each (and 10 generic ones). Even that does not cover all the circumstances that I can find myself in.

You can be MUCH more detailed in verbal communication than one or two keys can ever do.

So Blender, I think you're a little too full of yourself when you say you have the best binds. ;)

{PSX}BLenDeR
26th Jul 2000, 05:29 PM
Why do you have have to mess up my 15 seconds of fame, damn chicken is always out to get me...

Phydeaux{RoA}
26th Jul 2000, 09:44 PM
RW: My friends and I use the latest version of it for pretty near everything. My UT friend and I use it for CTF, we use it for Descent 3, Midtown Madness, System Shock 2 (especially), Motocross Madness 2, Nascar 3, Jedi Knight, and Links LS 2000. There are a couple of games that it doesn't work on for us like Mechwarrior 3 and the latest Need For Speed title.

We had tried Teamstream awhile back but it didn't impress us, despite their claims of actual superiority.

We, too, use it for all-around chit-chat and it works great for that.

OshadowO
27th Jul 2000, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by |AOC|BLenDeR
Why do you have have to mess up my 15 seconds of fame, damn chicken is always out to get me...
ROFLMFAO!!!!
MAybe we should have a #pu RW channel for anybody who wants to play a gmae using RW?? naw bad idea too much work:)

Boom
27th Jul 2000, 06:34 PM
Rooster, I have been wondering about all your map specific binds. I have seen/heard you use them when playing pick-up games on the roost. How many keyboards you got hooked up to your system? How many fingers you got? I have all my usefull binds on the numberpad, or the Insert/home/end/delete area. It takes me too long to move my fingers over to the rest of the keyboard.

Do you have a way to switch bindings as you enter a map??? Or do you just have the keyboard laid out real well, and have the practice to hit a bind anywhere on the keyboard without breaking stride too much? (My guess is the latter).

Once the Boomette leaves (I think Sunday is my day of sadness), I will have to spend some time on my keybinds. "Wank Poops too much" may be replaced by "Enemy Flagguy in Upper Corridor". ;)

Boom
3rd Aug 2000, 12:38 AM
*Bump*

Hmmmm, I figure Rooster would tell me if my questions are not to be answered because his keybinding tactics are for |C| ears only. My guess is he missed my questions. ;)

My guess is you use the textfile binding switching thingy. I saw a thread on it, but haven't bothered to work on it myself yet. There is just no way your keyboard has room for all those map specific binds. :)

RizMan
3rd Aug 2000, 05:12 AM
Me and some of my friends used to use BattleCom for chatting instead of typing endless messages in ICQ. It is sometimes a little bit chaotic, but with a little bit of discipline, it can be really funny to use.
We tried RW, but IMHO, BC has a better sound quality. Unfortunately? I haven't had the opportunity to use it in a game yet, cause none of my friends play online (damn they're missing something) and I did not yet manage to find a server where it is used.

Boom
3rd Aug 2000, 01:32 PM
*bump*

/me is still curious about how the l337 guys have all those map specific binds. ;)

Bounca
3rd Aug 2000, 01:44 PM
I got a ? on how you use it

If me and a bud of mine have RW and we join a server together how can I talk to him? Do I enter in his channel IP or does he enter mine or doesn't it matter? Or, does the server have to have RW enabled?

Apologize if this was brought up before..thx.

[HF]Mr. Scary
3rd Aug 2000, 04:41 PM
Yep, I use it for Tribes. A majority of my guild use it exclusively as well. I run it with a 26.4 connection and I've never had connection problems with it.

Oh and to answer the question above mine, yes you have to use your IP address, or your other friends IP address.

Peace,
Mr. Scary