PDA

View Full Version : Monster MX300 Sound Card

Morety
25th Jul 2000, 01:27 PM
In case any owners are having the following problems with it:

For the most part, I was very happy with this card. When I first ran UT, the game would start making a screeching noise about a half hour into the game. I solved this problem by downloading the drivers from Aureal3D instead of Diamond, who are notorious for not updating drivers on their site anyway.

I upgraded my computer, and am using the asusP3V4X mo/bo. I found that I couldn't minimize UT or run any other app's when UT was on. After many driver switching/bios flashing/hardware moving hours, I found out what it was.

UT would minimize while I clicked onto mIRC links without a problem when I had the soundcard removed. I just now installed a creative sb live-value card, and it works like a dream. RW here I come. :)

Stosh
25th Jul 2000, 01:30 PM
I've read about a lot of problems with the MX cards. I had my SbLive Value since late last year. It's never given my any trouble.

Morety, What did you pay for it? Just curious! :)

Morety
25th Jul 2000, 01:33 PM
I went up the road and got it for $89.99 Canadian. ($102 including all our damn taxes.)

That's about $60.00 US before tax.

I love the lightning/thunder sound it makes when I start windows.

Stosh
25th Jul 2000, 01:37 PM
That's about what I paid. I also bought the FPS2000, which may not be the most powerful, but a very nice speaker system.

That wav file is nice, but last weekend I turned it off, (Quicker boot time without it.) It's pretty cool when I'm showing off my system.

Toolvana
25th Jul 2000, 02:14 PM
I have an MX300 too Morety. The only problem I've had with it was during the beginning I had to mess with an .inf file and install to disable the dos support because it would lock up my computer during boot. Other than that every game works flawlessly with it. :)

Morety
25th Jul 2000, 02:21 PM
I'm thinking it could be a compatibility issue with my mainboard. It worked fine with the asus p2b and the bx chipsets.