UE1 - UT How to capture key press for a HUD mutator

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Helen

Jan 23, 2010
When the player presses a key, I need to get it to my hud mutator somehow.

I know how to add key binds using the UTExtraKeyBindings class.

At first I had the binds perform a function that was declared as exec in the mutator. But it is not getting called, and I think I remember now that exec functions are not called on mutators? Probably not :(

So then I tried having the bind call the Mutate method, which worked, but from there, how do I get ahold of the mutator back on the client, so that I can tell it to do something? Though, this is not ideally the way to go. It seems silly to follow this route:
  1. user presses key
  2. command gets sent to server
  3. server sends a message back to Sender

Ideally, the user presses key on the client, and somehow I get that key press to the hud mutator on the client.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
there was an anti-cheat mutator that did exactly that. The admins were able to see what keys the player was pressing, and I believe it used to show them in the console. You might be able to find that mutator at unrealadmin.org though.

At the moment, I can't remember what that mutator was called and can't help you out further.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I'd be really careful here. This is a legal gray area since it can also capture chat done in TS, etc. Keylogging of non-UT inputs would fall under mostly per-state laws here though there are also some federal statutes. Surprisingly your state Helen has some of the harshest penalties specifically against keylogging.
If your server captures chat inputs of non-server intentions via third-party keylogging software and the server is located in the states I can clearly see a way someone could get legal with this especially in today's anti-big brother climate.

Helen

Jan 23, 2010
there was an anti-cheat mutator that did exactly that. The admins were able to see what keys the player was pressing, and I believe it used to show them in the console. You might be able to find that mutator at unrealadmin.org though.

At the moment, I can't remember what that mutator was called and can't help you out further.
Thank you for the response that is related to my question. :tup:

I've already decided not to go the RegisterHUDMutator route. Client to Server to Client for a keypress is not in my religion. ;)

Rather I'll stick what I wanted to do into a subclassed ChallengeHUD I already have in another mutator. This will help me with another grievance with the normal hud, which is that if you ask to hide the health it will still draw it, just smaller.

Shame, I was hoping to keep it independent. Oh well.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006

Fuck that kind of spying shit and fuck those servers who run it! Amen!