PDA

View Full Version : log commands via command line

Cable
13th Dec 1999, 02:16 AM
can you run commands that you would type in the log windows via a command line?

i ask because as you probly know you often need to build path nodes for u1 maps so that the bots actually move...(why can't they learn!) and to do this you need to type paths build then paths define in the unrealed log window...and this takes forever and I was wondering if it could be done any quicker way? what can that ucc prog do? or is it just a compiler.

Wanderer
13th Dec 1999, 03:26 PM
Well the Unreal1 maps should have their paths already defined. All of the very high scoring ones at Nali City are, and all of the ones included with Unreal were.

As for "paths build" taking a long time. Well you can still make you're own paths manually. It won't be any quicker but nobody said life was fair.

Wanderer
14th Dec 1999, 02:58 AM
Well that's the fault of lazy mappers. Usually those maps don't rank in the 8-10 range at Nali City because of the lack of proper pathnoding.

Cable
14th Dec 1999, 08:14 AM
um, the offical epic ones might be. but alot of the third party ones seem to have none or limited paths...obviously to get the best from the map will need manual intervention, but for general play using paths build and define makes the level playable.

Cable
15th Dec 1999, 05:30 AM
just a quick point...

I was always under the impression that u1 bots could learn levels like the q2 eraser bot mod...but from what you've said I guess this isn't the case.

I think i would have preferred a mixture, the game allowed the bots to learn but the map designer could improve this by adding the ambush/snipe etc points to their level.

Wanderer
15th Dec 1999, 05:24 PM
Well that requires a dynamic path noding system. Similiar to Polge's ReaperBot for Q2. The problem with that was that the pathnodes had to be placed in a different file as not to disrupt the map file. This also means more work for Polge possibly risking the potential for even better AI due to the extra work.

This also means that the bots pathnodes are limited to the players knowledge. If the player only knows a little it doesn't help much.