UE3 - UDK Insert weapon without Weapon Pickup Factory

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gruntkiller4000

Jul 11, 2011
Hi I am trying to insert a weapon into the map. I want the weapon to just lay on the floor when I pick it up, not float. Is there an alternative to using WeaponPickupFactory or something cause it's really annoying. I tried different ways on the scripts but they won't work.
BTW I'm using UDK 2012.
Can somebody help me please?

Nathaniel3W

Nov 11, 2012
If you just need it to lie on the floor, then you can make any actor with the gun's mesh and just put it there. You can then write an event Touch so that when your pawn runs over the gun you can pick it up.

I'm finding that working with weapons of an actual extension of the weapon class is difficult when you're doing something other than just equipping and firing them as intended. My rookie skills would make me want to make gun-on-the-floor a different class from gun-in-your-hands so that when the pawn walks over gun-on-the-floor, that gun will disappear and then spawn a different gun extended from the weapon class that you then GiveTo(Pawn).

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I have no clue if this will work in UDK, but back in UT2004 I managed to rig placeable weapon pickups with this
Code:
class ARSoloPickup extends AssaultRiflePickup
      placeable;

defaultproperties
{
     Physics=PHYS_None
}
Like I said, no idea if it will work/help

Gruntkiller4000

Jul 11, 2011
If you just need it to lie on the floor, then you can make any actor with the gun's mesh and just put it there. You can then write an event Touch so that when your pawn runs over the gun you can pick it up.
I want to keep the floating guns mesh but I want the gun on the floor not floating!

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
You can always just create your own pickup factory type. Removing stuff and altering the weapon pickup height shouldn't really be that much of a problem if you look at how the weapon pickup factors is set up.

That being said, be more patient. There's not much UnrealScript coding going on anymore aside from the UDK. And UDK questions are mostly answered on Epic's forum, which also is much more frequented than this one.