UE3 - UDK KActors and Triggers - Can they play nice?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Argus

Spack Jazzrabbit
Feb 13, 2008
Scotland
Hi guys.
I'm working on a little physics-based thing as part of a small UDK level. It involves placing a crate into a small box-shaped hole in the floor, which contains a trigger. I have set up the kismet for the trigger so it uses the crate KActor as the instigator, told it to use the instigator, and play a short matinee sequence when the KActor touches it.
However, it doesn't seem to want to work. I've changed the class proximity actors to KActor and UTKActor, but nothing. I really don't understand what it is I'm doing wrong - am I attempting the impossible?

Cheers.

Narayana

Jun 16, 2009
I am not aware whether it is possible to trigger touch events on physics actors. I have resorted to workarounds in my UT3 maps:
1. copy a replica of your mesh (or create simpler collision model where applicable) and set as interpactor. hard attach the interpactor to the 'kactor. In some cases you may have to slightly scale the interpactor beyond the extent of the 'kactor (esp' if the kactor is blockall) in order to still get touch events on the interp actor.
2. use collision event instead. This has the limitations of requiring the physics object to strike another trigger object in your world, such as static mesh (or other kactor, etc, any of which may be invisible, destroyed on impact, etc.) This is ok for some things, but not so good for "checkpoints" in which case you need the object to keep moving fluidly.
3. just thought of this one, after typing that last one; Using a get distance loop. This is less efficient than those methods but it is cool for gradual, "analog" things but still works for checkpoints/targets, etc.

Argus

Spack Jazzrabbit
Feb 13, 2008
Scotland
I tried method 2 - That didn't seem to work in this instance. I'll try methods 1 and 3 when I get back to the level next week - it's part of my college coursework.
Thank you for the suggestions. :D